Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

More ANSI sizes in Frame Generator

More ANSI sizes in Frame Generator

I totally understand and appreciate the ability to create custom shaped extrusions. However, I count no less than 27 sizes of square steel tubing smaller than 1 1/4"  available right now from my steel supplier. This is just one of the many common shapes that start at larger sizes than what I commonly use. Why does Inventor's library arbitrarily start at arbitrary sizes, ignoring everything smaller than it? Expecting every user to custom make every COMMON size of extrusion is unfortunate on a CAD platform that is otherwise so amazing. This issue comes up often enough that I feel the need to set aside a LARGE chunk of my time to create a FULL library of steel extrusions smaller than what Inventor offers.

7 Comments
Curtis_Waguespack
Consultant

Hi bhahn,

Just as a side note,  my understanding is that Autodesk provides only the shapes that are ratified to the standard (for instance ANSI). I think there are a lot of common shapes that are not actually approved and ratified to the standard. This might help explain why so many shapes are not included in the Content Center files. But I'll give your IdeaStation submission a vote as well. Maybe Autodesk can include a way for users to find and share common shapes that are not included for Frame Generator (I've seen requests for timber and lumber shapes as well).

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

ihiengdept
Enthusiast

There are many more standard sizes not included.  In my version of Inventor, I have accesss to tube sizes from 2" and over.  According to my Alro book, this would correspond to ASTM A-500.  These other standard sizes are covered under ASTM A-513.  They should get those added.

kent.henderson
Explorer

I'm not sure I fully understand how ANSI and ASTM play together but I do feel like there are lot of missing small square tube sizes. All of the ASTM 513 is missing. These are very common sizes. See page 7-2 of the attached pdf.http://www.alro.com/datacatalog/007-tubingandpipe.pdf

We really need these shapes.

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Accepted

Accepted idea [12013]. Thanks!

kent.henderson
Explorer

Yay!

bhahn2
Enthusiast
Hooray! My first suggestion and my first suggestion accepted!
dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Implemented

This idea has been implemented within Autodesk Inventor 2020. A large number of new sizes have been appended for Frame Generator workflows, out of the box. If additional sizes are needed, please author a new Idea or explicitly define the size, as well as the standard it belongs to. Special thanks to everyone who cast a vote for it.   

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report