Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Midplane between Two Parallel Planes at Assembly Level

Midplane between Two Parallel Planes at Assembly Level

I have read some older posts in this forum and found some work arounds, but I still don't clearly understand why we can't have the option to insert a workplane between two parallel planes/faces at the assembly level. Why can we only do it at the part level?

Image - Left side part level - right side assembly level

planes.png

Thanks

Sean

15 Comments
smithar
Autodesk
Status changed to: Under Review

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Under Review
As Adam indicated, this project [US14619] is under review by the development team.
dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Accepted

Accepted idea [US14619]. Thanks!

MrJoshuaAU
Contributor

This is something i would use everyday.

Cheers Josh

cbliss
Contributor

This should include mid planes between two non parallel planes or faces.  Non parallel planes are just as mathematically or geometrically valid as parallel planes.

DeerSpotter
Collaborator

and yet 2014 comes around and its not included??? 

jaydavey
Community Visitor

ditto want this added in near future.

MadcapPomposity
Participant

This feature can't arrive soon enough.

But while we're waiting, the workaround is to select "Measure" from the flyout, measure the distance between the two planes, and divide it by two.

MadcapPomposity
Participant

I spoke too soon. A measured-offset plane is non-adaptive, and therefore an imperfect workaround at best.

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Implemented
This idea has been implemented within Autodesk Inventor 2015. Special thanks to the author of this Idea and likewise to everyone who cast your Kudo for it. Enhancements were made within the Assembly environment to create workplanes between two parallel faces, or non-parallel faces in Assemblies (between two components). Enhancements were made within the Part environment to create workplanes between non-parallel faces. Please be sure to check this out in Autodesk Inventor 2015. Thanks!
scottmoyse
Mentor

Except you can't create a workplane between two faces of the same part at the assembly level... a huge pain in the *** when it comes to adding geometry for manufacturing / CAM at the assembly level without affecting the released sub components.

mikeh7
Collaborator

Appears to be that on the midplane/bisecting plane in an IAM, you can't pick two parallel planes on the same part within an IAM?  i.e. have a sprocket in an IAM and want to put a mid plane on that part in the IAM because the IPT is locked down via vault and I don't want to throw it on a Change order and make it WIP to add a mid plane.  A lot of work to just get a mid plane.  Granted I can put in a work plane w/ offset at the IAM level, but then it's not associated and won't update if the thickness of the sprocket is changed.

Thanks!

Kamiasahi
Advocate

This issue does have a solution, at least in Inventor 2016.

In the IAM, create a sketch on whichever face gives you the possibility to measure the distance between the faces you would like to have the midplane on. Then project geometry to display the distance between the faces. Then set a dimension (as driven dimension). Then rename that driven dimension to whatever tickles your fancy. Then close the sketch. Then create the offset plane where the offset value is your previously set up driven dimension divided by two. Voila midplane.

I haven't thoroughly tested this. I don't use vault. But I am working on a large assembly made up of some mirrored parts and all parts are derived. So I found this workaround. Hope it helps 🙂

Btw: this ought to work with angled work planes as well, as long as on the sketch you enter a driven dimension for the angle. I think 🙂

Have fun 🙂

Raf_
Enthusiast

Why should i have to create extra work for myself to create sketches to get middle plane in assy....

Common Autodesk even terrible Solidworks can do it out of the box!

JaSar24
Explorer

Any progress on this yet?

It's been about 10 years since this first post and I still can't make a midplane between the surfaces in the assembly...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report