Inventor IdeaStation
Share your ideas about how to improve Inventor with the Development Team.
7 Kudos
ungarata

Middle mouse button behavior

by ungarata on ‎11-28-2012 07:33 AM

Guys;

I came from using Pro/E and Solid Edge.  The middle mouse button function for spinning the model is backwards from these (and from Solid Works, too).  Search through the posts; most people want the middle mouse button to rotate the model when it is pressed, and then if they want to pan then hold down an additional key like Shift.  Why not just let the user decide how they want this to function?  Dont hard-code it; make it part of the customization.

If you think it's not that big of a deal look through the posts.

Yes, I know about 3D controllers; I've used them for eight years or so.  That not the point; unless AutoDesk is getting a kickback from 3D Connexion, there is not a good reason to hard-code this functionality backwards from what the other programs are doing.

I read that Inventor users suggested how this would work; they were wrong.  Perhaps they had never used another 3D CAD program?  Not sure, but the rest of the 3D CAD world got it right. The development team propagated this error by hard-coding the behavior instead of letting the end user decide.

Comments
by Valued Contributor MattH_Work on ‎11-30-2012 06:09 AM

Absolutely don't agree.

Middle mouse to pan & zoom

I've got F4, Orbit & Spacemouse for rotating.

by ungarata on ‎11-30-2012 06:52 AM

MattH_Work;  my guess is you've never used anything other than Inventor.

Unplug your Spacemouse and use Inventor.  What do you spend more time doing, rotating, or panning?  Most people, if they're being honest, will say rotating, as the complete part is usually on your screen unles you're zoomed in.  For the sake of argument, let's see you agree that you do indeed rotate more than pan.  Why would you want to add clicks to use Orbit or the as-coded functionallity?  Why do Creo, SE, and SW all work oppposite of Inventor?  Did everyone else get it wrong?

How about this:  Even though you don't agree, why not let the end-user decide how they want their Inventor to function?  If I don't agree that 3D controllers are productive, would you want me to take away the ability to use them?

I would make this wager; if the development team allowed the end-user to decide how they want their middle mouse button to function, then surveyed all Inventor users, the functioning I outlined (middle mouse button spins, add-Shift to pan) would be used by a wide margin, especially by people who switch to Inventor from other CAD programs.

by Valued Contributor MattH_Work on ‎12-05-2012 12:09 PM

"What do you spend more time doing, rotating, or panning?  Most people, if they're being honest, will say rotating, as the complete part is usually on your screen unles you're zoomed in"

As it happens I spend more time pannng, I use a spacemouse for rotating, or F4 or Orbit or Shift / Middle mouse on the odd occasion. We'll have to agree to disagree on this one, but I will say that giving the user a choice is no bad thing.

by ungarata on ‎12-05-2012 12:46 PM

MattH_Work;

Ah, you skipped the very first part; unplug your spacemouse and then work.  You said you use your spacemouse for rotating; that's the issue here.  If you didn't have that, your finger would more or less hardly ever move off of Shift, because (I contend) that you spend more time rotating as compared to panning.

If you get a chance, drive a seat of Pro/E (Creo)/Solidworks/Solid Edge and see what it's like.  Actually, Creo would be best; it automatically rotates around your mouse cursor, so your screen doesn't rotate off of the point of interest you're working on.  It's a double-win for that software in that category.

by timmaay ‎06-21-2013 09:43 AM - edited ‎06-21-2013 09:44 AM

I agree whole-heartedly with everything expressed by the original poster.  Thank you, ungarata. I came here to say exactly what you said, in largely the way you said it.

I am an experienced SW user (let's some around 4,000 hours), and somewhat experienced in ProE also.  Due to my new job, I'm currently learning Inventor.  The fact that I have no control over the behavior of my mouse buttons is making me insane.

If more people say they want MMB to be pan, fine, let that be the default.  I don't care what your defaults are.  Defaults are merely a starting point.  But don't artificially cripple the program (along with my sanity) by not giving me the option to change that. 

Every other program I've used (be it SW, ProE, Windows, even games) has this control built-in.  It is the ubiquitous default position.  I must then draw the conclusion that the Autodesk folks, at some point, made a conscious decision to deviate from this standard.  It is my studied opinion (based on my own experience and the written, stated experience of many others, across multiple forums, and over the course of many years), that this was a fairly huge mistake.

I would like to re-inforce the suggestion then, at this time, that this mistake be rectified as soon as humanly possible.  While enterprise level software is most-often mandated and selected by the enterprise, that selection is very often influenced by the desires of the end-users. This is the sort of thing that would incline me to campaign to change our software.

Thank you very much for your kind assistance.

Submit Your Ideas

Share and shape product ideas.

New Idea
You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
IdeaStation Guidelines
Review guidelines and best practices
before posting a new idea.

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube