Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Merge BOM Rows based on properties other than Part Number

Merge BOM Rows based on properties other than Part Number

It would be great if we had the ability to merge rows in the BOM using a property other than Part Number such as Stock Number, Description, Custom iProperty etc.

Currently, Part number is the only option for merging (Enabled / Disabled Via A Check Box).

Regards, Matt.

15 Comments
Ben-Cornelius
Collaborator

You should be able to merge rows on any property through the parts list. You have grouping but this NOT merging the item numbers are not effected. You have some settings in the BOM but they are only related to part number.

14.JPG      15.JPG

Anonymous
Not applicable

I wish to select a column in my partslist and merge identicals

For example: I have these parts:

Filename 123005.ipt, Part Number 123005, Description: Flatbar 50x5

Filename 123006.ipt, Part Number 123006, Description: Flatbar 50x5

The parts are different, one might have a chamfers, holes, cut outs or different length.

I want to merge these flat bars

It is possible to make part numbers identical so the part list rows merge.

Yet when another engineers does a copy design, he selects 'update partnumber' for all files.

Part number chances, and parts list has again 20 items called Flatbar 50x5

Any company that keeps filename and part number the same, can't use row merge

Tags (1)
DRoam
Mentor

This would be great. I'm glad this has already been suggested. Makes much more sense to merge based on Stock Number, and even more sense to be able to choose.

alangenegger
Explorer

it will be really helpfull.

to merge by customize props!

jkretzschmar-nti
Enthusiast

It would be good to merge rows at the bill of materials at the assembly. So far it only refers to the partnumber. The handling merging rows would be much easier if this refers rather to more then this one iProperty or to any other (also user defined) iProperties.

Reason: The format of the partnumber iProperty has to match the format of other parts at the bill of materials or the parts list. When using the frame generator it makes mostly sense to merge some rows. In this case it means a huge effort to change the partnumber as identical values.

Tags (4)
skotzur
Contributor

We're experiencing a strong need for this especially in our weldments.

In our weldments we use the stock number (frame generator) to indicate the material used. We use part number to denote particular details. We really want to merge items by stock number so that when we generate our parts list all of one material corresponds to 1 item. Then each item may correspond to multiple details depending on features, cut length, end treatments etc.

inv.ideareview
Autodesk
Thanks for sharing your Idea. We use this forum to guide product development and help users in the best way we can based on voting. We occasionally merge Ideas or archive old ones to keep the forum working properly - it ensures there is room for people to review new Ideas and that the most relevant and meaningful ones can gain votes. We’re archiving this Idea because it's been on the board for well over a year and hasn't received many votes from the community. If you want to raise it again and try to gain more support, you're welcome to do so. We’ve found that pictures and mock-ups can help get concepts across and win more votes from other users. If you have questions or see a connection between this Idea and others, let us know. - Inventor product team (Inv.idea review)
inv.ideareview
Autodesk
Status changed to: Archived

DRoam
Mentor
marcel
Explorer

While struggling to achieve a good partslist I stumbled onto this thread.

Although it is archived I will post my problem and vote for it. Maybe does anybody sees another solution for the situation below.

Our situation is:

We are using the same models for multiple clients.

Those clients have there own part numbers, which even can become available only later in the design proces.

Our setup is:

To be able to stored several part numbers, multiple custom iproperties have been made in 3D.

The default part number is left alone and so shows the filename.

In 2D we have several partlist styles (for each client a seperate one).

All partslists use the substition option to display the default part number by default until the specific client part number is filled in.

The  problem is:

This has worked fine until the first assembly occured where a compressed part was placed twice while the compression was different. 

To be able to show the correct state two ipt-files are made with the same meta data. Only  the 3D geometry is different.

This means two different filenames and two different default part number iproperties but the same client specific custom part number iproperty.

The result however is 2 lines in the bom for the same client part number.

The merge option doesn't see the lines as the same as it only looks to the default part number iproperty.

The merge option can merge the lines but will not show one single itemnumber but multiple which looks strange and is not accepted by our clients.

At this point i'm out of solutions and open for any ideas but the prefered option would be the option to be able to choose on which iproperty to merge as within the group option.

munderwood4GRE6
Enthusiast

Please add this ASAP. It would greatly help us with making our bill of materials match the format we had with autocad before moving to 3D. 

Regards,

Michael Underwood

gregory_nickol
Advocate

This would work very nicely in combination with the addition of instance properties. In our weldments (we use regular assembly file but weldment version would technically be more appropriate) we typically have the same raw material (part file out of content center) placed into a file, and all sorts of features done at the assembly level. I may have 8 of the same file, 2 have holes in one spot-Part A, 2 have holes in another spot-Part B, and 4 are blank-Part C. Using instance properties I can split the files into separate items. But this gives me 8 unique lines on my BOM when I really just want 3, so it would be nice to be able to roll them back together when their instance properties match.

Yijiang.Cai
Autodesk
Status changed to: Under Review

Many thanks for posting the idea, and tracked as [INVGEN-67164]

fbk
Advocate
Advocate

Ten yeas later, we still have the same problem with the Partslist. Please make the "Enable row merge on partnumber match" on TWO rows than the draftsmen can specify.

We are waiting too long.

YannickEnrico
Advisor

I'd like to chip in on this.

Please enable row merge on two or more properties that are compared *at the same time*.
I personally started using instance properties, and that causes the BOM to show amounts of 1 and 1 and 1 and 1, so the BOM becomes extremely long.

Row merge on part number means any instance properties will show "*varies*", whereas an option to row merge on *both* instance properties AND part number would allow me to have a shorter BOM.

It's important that it compares both properties, because I am using instance properties for 3.1 material certificate numbers.
I can have two different items that are cut from the same plate - Thus I need two different rows with part numbers respectively, even if the charge numbers are the same.

I can also have two pieces of the same item that are cut from different plates, and thus they need to take up two rows in my BOM

YannickEnrico_0-1696396118438.png

YannickEnrico_1-1696396167955.png

YannickEnrico_2-1696396314234.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report