Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mate more then one component at a time with a single constraint

Mate more then one component at a time with a single constraint

There should be an option that allows users when mating more then one component to the same surface to be able to select all components instead of having to create individual mates for each.

4 Comments
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think this would work better if you could do multiple constraints from a single dialog box.  If they're all part of the same constraint then disconnecting one object disconnects all of them, yes?  So, if for instance you want to set a bunch of shaft components to be on a single axis, setting your primary axis and then selecting everything that fits on top of it would add a constraint to the primary axis for each part, but if you decide to remove a part later the other constraints still exist.

Cadmanto
Mentor

Yeah, that is whaty I was trying to say.  Sorry if I didn't outline it out clear enough.  So, thatnks for doing just that!!!  Smiley Happy

Anonymous
Not applicable

I think you can edit your original suggestion.  It's best to make your point up front than ask people to read a discussion on it.

Additional things you may do with this: line everything up against a wall.  I'm also curious if you could add a single reference dimension without having to use the keyboard, essentially the d0 or d10 or whatever would all reference the same parameter until you manually input a new one.  That's another thing that's been bugging me when I do it. 

For instance, I'll have a bunch of control boxes offset from a wall, on the same plane.  If I need to change the location because I have to run a pipe or something behind them, I have to constrain all of them 1) to each other and one "prime" to the wall or 2) manually assign the parameter each time or 3) go back to the parameter screen and manually change all of the numbers to reference a single user parameter.  1 Becomes a problem if I have to swap out the "prime" as now I have no guarantee that my constraints will work properlly and not turn 90 degrees vertically or something.  2) Is tedious work flow interruption as my work flow is usually to place most of my components and then "c-key, click, click, click" repeat until everything is about in the right place.  3) is, again, a tedious workflow interruption.  I would like to be able to line stuff up like that from a single menu.

Josh_Hunt
Advocate

I don't see any reason to have a 'primary' face/axis.

If you want them all FLUSH then all faces selected are FLUSH, no primary. [same for Axial Mates]

If they are MATED then 1st selection set lets you pick multiple part faces, then you select multiple part faces for the 2nd selection. [Same for Angles].

It would also be great if the new JOINTs did this too. I can understand how you may need to rewrite how degrees of freedom are solved but it would be a HUGE improvement to assembly managment.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report