Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Make the BOM structure setting more accessible

Make the BOM structure setting more accessible

Currently in order to set a files BOM structure you have to dig into it's document settings every time. It requires 5 clicks to change it.

I'd like to see it available as an option right in front of my face, as it's something I change on various files hundreds of times a day (it seems like it, anyways). An ideal location would be in the BOM editor for assemblies, but I'd like to see it somewhere very easily accessible AND visible at a glance for both parts and assemblies.

6 Comments
jtylerbc
Mentor

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're asking for.  The BOM Structure setting already appears as a column in the assembly Bill of Materials editor.  If that isn't what you are wanting, you may need to elaborate on your request a bit to clarify it.

mrattray
Advisor

I meant for the assembly whose BOM is currently being edited.

Mark_Wigan
Collaborator

i am probably misunderstanding too . in the assembly bom, the choice of bom structure for any items shown or chosen, is forced back to the part if you happen to choose a type other than what was shown when you started the bom editor, just as if you had opened the part and done the 5 click process through document settings.

i know what you mean though to some extent, and i had to add an macro onto my ribbon to carry out a one click toggle between my default type, and purchased part (for example).

mrattray
Advisor

@Mark_Wigan
 wrote:
i am probably misunderstanding too . in the assembly bom, the choice of bom structure for any items shown or chosen, is forced back to the part if you happen to choose a type other than what was shown when you started the bom editor, just as if you had opened the part and done the 5 click process through document settings.

I understand that, and it's super-useful. I'm suggesting that the BOM structure for the .iam whose BOM you would be currently looking at in the BOM editor also be easily accessible.

Example:

Capture.JPG

Here you can see that the BOM structure of each component is readily accessible; what I'm proposing is some sort of drop down so I can see what the BOM structure of, in this example, "HINGE.iam" is. In this case, the BOM structure should be "Purchased", but I can't tell without closing the BOM editor, clicking the "Tools" tab, clicking "Document Settings", "Bill of Materials" tab, then seeing what the Default BOM strucutre drop down says. In this example, it turned out to be set to "Normal".

inv.ideareview
Autodesk
Thanks for sharing your Idea. We use this forum to guide product development and help users in the best way we can based on voting. We occasionally merge Ideas or archive old ones to keep the forum working properly - it ensures there is room for people to review new Ideas and that the most relevant and meaningful ones can gain votes. We’re archiving this Idea because it's been on the board for well over a year and hasn't received many votes from the community. If you want to raise it again and try to gain more support, you're welcome to do so. We’ve found that pictures and mock-ups can help get concepts across and win more votes from other users. If you have questions or see a connection between this Idea and others, let us know. - Inventor product team (Inv.idea review)
inv.ideareview
Autodesk
Status changed to: Archived

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report