Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slice Graphics - Update

Slice Graphics - Update

The slice graphic uses a default slice texture. It's looks like concrete. Sometimes it's also easy to use the software Snagit for a quick screen cut to show specific details. The existing standard texture is blurry. It should be easy to choice different hatches to improve quick presentation pictures. I have seen somewhere how to change the section texture but it should be done in an easy way by drop menus.

I have added this idea for a couple of months ago but it was not possible to update the text inside the idea.

IV-Idea1.jpg

IV-Idea2.jpg

IV-Idea3.jpg

27 Comments
kstate92
Collaborator

Instead of forcing your customers to make a scary registry hack per this nonetheless very helpful article: http://blogs.rand.com/manufacturing/2010/11/inventomizations-slice-graphics-pattern.html, make this a User Option within the application.  Not everyone (anyone?) needs a concrete pattern on their part cross-sections.

A truly proactive and forward-thinking company would also add the option to tie each part's cross-sectional pattern in the modeling environment to the part materials' cross-hatch pattern used in the drawing environment.

Tags (5)
Cadmanto
Mentor

The default should not be concrete, but rather no texture and have the option to add one if it is necessary.

SteveEn
Participant

The slice graphic uses a default slice texture. It's looks like concrete. Sometimes it's also easy to use the software Snagit for a quick screen cut to show specific details. The existing standard texture is blurry. It should be easy to choice different hatches to improve quick presentation pictures. I have seen somewhere how to change the section texture but it should be done in an easy way by drop menus.

Tags (1)
SteveEn
Participant

Picture added i the window.

michael_marx
Advocate

It´s possible to define an own texture for capping.

You have to define a new entry into the registry where the colorschemes are.

the entry is named "SliceCapTexturePath" with the path to the own texture.

I use a trasnparent texture to easily look inside the parts and see the collisions!! 

spackle42
Advocate

Wow! There have been posts on the forums regarding this for ten years. I can't believe this has only been posted to the Ideastation so recently.

mrattray
Advisor

The Idea Station is a recent thing. It's only been around a year or two.

EDIT: Also, this is a duplicate (or there's duplicates of this...).

ad64
Advocate

Also please add an easy option to show each part's actual texture instead of the concrete texture with distinct lines between two adjacent parts of the same texture.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-General/Real-Cross-section-textures/m-p/5129408#M513908

Steve

spackle42
Advocate
MikeSmell_ADSK
Autodesk

User would like to be able to control the color and style of shading that is used on the faces of a section view. Currently, a textured look is given to the face and the user has no ability to modify this visualization. See the attached image.

Tags (1)
michael_marx
Advocate
stuartmp
Advocate

I agree it would be good if you could select different textures maybe even per part.

You could mouse over the texture of one part and then a menu appears were you select a new texture.

stuartmp
Advocate

I agree it would be good if you could select different textures maybe even per part.

You could mouse over the texture of one part and then a menu appears were you select a new texture.

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Gathering Support

Hi Steve, It looks like you accidentially logged two identical Ideas due to limage linking issues.  I am closing this as a duplicate of the Master Idea here:  http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideastation/slice-graphics-update/idi-p/5057304  Thanks! -Dan

michael_marx
Advocate

i want to be able to switch different textures in slice view eg. like the behavior shaded views with and without edges displayed

standard

capping3.JPG

switch to user defined texture

capping2.JPG

switch to transparent

capping1.JPG

and rework the highlighting when in capping mode

also visually slice the highlighting of the parts

capping4.JPG

and be able to measure the sliced faces

andrey1962
Participant

can be add as variant "Fill Hatch" with part color

stuartmp
Advocate
I agree, the standard texture use has been a problem/ ugly since the first release.
--
Sent from my Android device
sergio.missori
Advocate

Designers in my technical department were complaining about the bad look of solid cross sections. I have found on the web a way to "hack" the setting and use a more classic x-hatch. It works and designers liked it.

Unfortunately it requires to apply changes to all local machines and you need Administrator privileges.

An option to choose the texture to display in cross sections or even associated to the material wholud be appreciated.

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Future Consideration

Idea added to backlog for future consideration [570]. Thanks!

Kazu-Kei
Explorer

It is difficult to deal with many situations with less expression.
A function that can change to the optimal display is essential.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea