Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Machining multiple bodies / parts at once

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
johnstda
993 Views, 4 Replies

Machining multiple bodies / parts at once

This idea goes against the general trend of solid modelling packages, but here goes anyway.

Currently, I'm required to machine one part, then the next and then assemble, and then repeat this process indefinitely Sometimes in woodwork though, assemblies (or multi-body parts in Inventor LT) are machined AFTER they are assembled. The applications for this are endless, from cutting a rectangular pattern of slats to a round shape after they are screwed onto the frame, to edge-profiling assemblies with routers, to drilling a hole through multiple pieces of wood (i.e. a through clearance hole in the first piece, and then a smaller pilot hole to depth in the 2nd to ensure the holes line up).

I've attached 3 pictures to express what I'm explaining. the 2nd shows what Inventor currently does, whereas, the 3rd is what I would like it to do. In the 2nd picture, I've selected the part to the right, and even though my sketch has extended over to the left part, it only extrudes through the right-part because that is the face I have selected. But it would be good to have the ability to extrude through both parts using the same sketch. Maybe there is a way to do this, I'm just not aware of it. Nevertheless, this proposed functionality would be very useful.

Labels (3)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
jtylerbc
in reply to: johnstda

Unless I totally misunderstand what you're asking for, both multibody parts and assembly cuts can already do what you want.

For multibodies (since it sounds like that's what you are using):

When making your cut extrusion, just below the "pick profile" button is a "pick solids" button.  If you click it, you can select as many solids as you want to include in the feature.  Your pic 2 result is what happens by default, but it can be changed to achieve pic 3.

Message 3 of 5
PaulMunford

Yep. jtylerbc has the way of it. Cut extrusions can be shared across multiple bodies. Assembly level cuts can be applied to multiple parts. You could also look into weldments for some additional options.

Autodesk Industry Marketing Manager UK D&M
Opinions are my own and may not reflect those of my company.
Linkedin Twitter Instagram Facebook Pinterest

Message 4 of 5
johnstda

You're right. I've only had Inventor LT for a few months so I'm still learning. Thanks.

Message 5 of 5
dan_szymanski

Solved by Expert Elite community - Thanks guys!
Dan Szymanski
Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report