Inventor IdeaStation
Share your ideas about how to improve Inventor with the Development Team.
124 Kudos
Curtis_Waguespack

Level of Detail for Parts

by *Expert Elite* on ‎04-03-2013 01:36 PM

The ability to suppress features and create Level Of Detail representations in part files would be very useful.

Example 1:

I have a bent tube that goes into an assembly in the formed state. However, I would like to detail this part to show both the pre-formed and formed states of the part on my drawing. Currently I can not do this without creating additional files (derived parts or iParts).  Ideally I would be able to suppress the Bend Part feature as a LOD to place the pre-formed part view.

Example 2:

I have a part file with a lot of detailed edges and surfaces and I use this part over and over in my assemblies, I would like to be able to suppress features as a LOD an use the simplified version in the assembly, but still have the detailed version for my part drawing. Again we'd like to be able to do this, without having additional files to track.

Accepted idea [US19751]. Thanks!
Comments
by *Pro on ‎04-08-2013 03:50 AM

Curtis, you can do this now with multi-body solids.  Array the first solid (without bend) to a new solid, then add the bend to the second solid.  Set View Reps for each solid alone for detailing, push second (finished) solid out to part for assembly purposes.

- Sam

by *Expert Elite* on ‎04-08-2013 07:23 AM

Hi sbixler,

Thanks for the workflow suggestion. But doesn't this still create multiple files to track? I'm not sure I see the benefit of the multi-body solution over a derived part or iPart solution. Maybe I'm missing something?

Thanks,
Curtis

by Valued Mentor on ‎04-15-2013 11:36 AM

that is still one part file with multi-solid. It is just different view representation. I used the same method few times. It worked well.

by Mentor on ‎04-25-2013 03:42 PM

Could this work for having simplified parts to send on to 3ds Max for rendering?  I'm designing electrical substations in Inventor.  I've got some very detailed parts.  But we often have to do renderings for local zoning requests.  The renders are all from a distance where the detail is neither visible nor required.  But it sure chokes Max. And that's just the import.  If I can get through the import, then rendering is yet another problem.  Being able to have simplfied versions of everything would really help.

by rrk on ‎05-24-2013 08:46 AM

Great idea. You could basically start with a piece of rough material (extrude or revolve) and record a level of detail after each removal of material (sketch and extrude or revolve or other) until you have the final part. This would also allow to open a new drawing with as many sheets as level of Detail are available and create individual work drawings within one single part drawing.

by *Expert Elite* on ‎06-13-2013 07:44 PM

I'm runing into a lot more formed tubing with laser cut features. The features are cut on the straight lenth of tubuing and then the tubing is moved to the tube bender.

I would love this to work like a sheet metal part. You could have the formed and straight options. It would also help with figuring accurate tubing stretch during forming.

by *Expert Elite* on ‎07-17-2013 10:29 AM

I was just reviewing the Solid Body and View Representation workflow described by sbixler and jcneal, and wanted to point out that while this does come close to LOD control at the part level, it still falls short if we want to show a part with only some feature detail. Cut features for example. Hope this helps clarify the request more fully.

by Contributor ddavis on ‎07-31-2013 10:23 AM

This would be a great feature, one that I could use almost everyday in fact. When I design a hydraulic manifold, I create a solid used for the machining print. I have to then create another which removes various features such as construction plugs for use in the customer assembly. As you can imagine this creates issues with managing two files if there is need of any changes. If I could simply use the same manifold solid but select which level of detail for both the machining and assembly prints, it would be great.

by Employee on ‎10-08-2013 11:34 AM
Status changed to: Accepted
Accepted idea [US19751]. Thanks!
by Contributor BramosB on ‎07-18-2014 06:17 PM

Regards. I like this idea, shouldnt be good growing it with a relate plus in the document enviroment, due for generating diagrams of operations, so the person could get an smart file made in the part enviroment (.ipt) associated for each stop/node of the diagram. Symbols were be incluided, ready to use it for a the further arrange of a layout in the .idw for manufacture and documenting purpose. I like it as enhanced approach for that kind of job as needed. Yes, I hope it were really taken into next versions. That could be adapted for documenting mfg procesess that involve shrinks dimension in the part as Ceramic clay and its burned phase, even for 3dprinting part modelling process, isnt it?

Thanks at all. Sorry my english. Waiting further advices.

Submit Your Ideas

Share and shape product ideas.

New Idea
You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
IdeaStation Guidelines
Review guidelines and best practices
before posting a new idea.

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube