Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Leader Landing Length

Leader Landing Length

It would be great to be able to change the leader landing length because at times the minimum is still to long. Possible solutions would be to add a minimum length setting in the style and standard editor to the leader style or just make it completely adjustable when placing the leader in a drawing. I would prefer a minimum setting so that all of my lengths could be the same.

17 Comments
iamerm
Collaborator

It would be nice to have the ability to create a leader without an extension line (for Inventor dwg or idw).  Another option would be to simply create a leader & have the option to remove the extension line.

LEADER.jpg

jletcher
Advisor

What...................................

Just make the leader line straight.

I don't understand your issue when you can make this happen now..

And it even snaps in place.......

iamerm
Collaborator

And what happens when one doesn't what the leader line to be straight?

jletcher
Advisor

Move this dot..

move.JPG

iamerm
Collaborator

Once said dot is moved what happens to the extension line?

jletcher
Advisor

What do you mean what happens to it?

iamerm
Collaborator

Perhaps the term "extension line" is the problem.  Maybe I should call it the "tail" of the leader?

Anyway, I'm referring to the tiny line between the two dots on the far right in the image you posted.  You can't see that little line when a leader is horizontal because it's parallel with the leader.  When you "move this dot" as you describe, the extension line remains horizontal & becomes clearly visible again.

As far as I am aware, there's no simple way to remove that.  If this is still completely unclear I'll try to post another image.

jletcher
Advisor

Why does it have to be removed?

It does what you want so why does it have to be removed?

This was an option but they took it out and it is funny how you ask for it to be put back in when it does what you want without it.

I understand perfectly what you are saying..

What I don't understand is what is wrong with the way it works..

iamerm
Collaborator

jletcher: Let me try to answer your questions in the hopes that our "discussion" may benefit someone.

"Why does it have to be removed?"

Because there are certain instances when I don't want it to be visible

"It does what you want so why does it have to be removed?"

It's interesting that you claim to somehow know what I want.  What I want is this:  in certain situations I do not want the extension line to be visible.

"This was an option but they took it out and it is funny how you ask for it to be put back in when it does what you want without it"

I'm happy that you're amused, & I again find it interesting that you seemingly know what I want more than I do.

"I understand perfectly what you are saying."

I respectfully disagree.  Either you're not listening, you don't want to understand, or I'm not explaining myself clearly.  I'll put it on me & assume it's the 3rd option.

"What I don't understand is what is wrong with the way it works."

I am not complaining about the functionality of the leader tail/extension line.  I agree with you that it works just fine - it does exactly what I would expect it to do in the instances where I would like it to be visible.

So, in an attempt to explain this again, here is another image a colleague made for me:

leaders.jpg

Again you'll notice that when the leader is vertical or horizontal you cannot see the tail/extension line.  When the leader is set to any angle the tail/extension line is visible again.  Yes, this is as designed.  And, yes, this is generally a good thing.  There are certain specific situations, though, when I need a leader that is both set to an angle & has no visible tail/extension line.

An example of where this would be useful is on an isometric piping diagram.  A flow direction indication arrow could quickly & easily be made using a leader without a visible extension line.  I hope this image will make things more clear.  I apologize because I should have posted it first:

LeaderFlowExample.jpg

Now that I've extraordinarily complicated things, please, in summary, just read the title of this idea:  "Leader With No Extension Line."  That would be a nice OPTION to have - that of creating a leader with no visible extension line.

jletcher
Advisor

The view with the TO TANK should be a symbol so you don't have to type it over and over and over and over again. If you ask me...

The other example you have I would need to know did you want the text to be at the same angle the leader is at? Or no tail with text Horizontal?

You are now a bit more clear but still need more....

Can those also be made into symbols?

iamerm
Collaborator

Generally speaking I would like to have the text at the same angle as the leader.  Ideally the text could be positioned before the leader, after the leader, above the leader, or below the leader.

As far as I understand, these various things could be accomplished a number of ways.  I would imagine that using symbols as you suggest is one way.  To create the "TO TANK" arrow shown in my image above I used the method described here:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-General/Insert-an-arrow-into-a-drawing/m-p/4522881

Obviously, though, it would be simpler if there was an option to remove the extension line from within the native Leader Text command.  Just an idea...

jletcher
Advisor

Now we are getting somewhere.

Ok I think the idea should have been align text with leader.. (This I would kudo)

I like symbols I don't have to type.. I may use a leader text once a month..

iamerm
Collaborator

That's why these things can be difficult to explain.  If I would have said "align text with leader," perhaps someone would have mentioned that this is possible by right-clicking a leader & selecting the "Attach Text to Leader" option.  By doing so, you do in fact get text that is always aligned with the leader.  This doesn't get rid of the tail, though.

So, I guess you should probably just go ahead & kudo this idea.  Smiley Tongue

timdown73
Collaborator

The idea link below is not a duplicate idea but it would go well with this thread.http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-IdeaStation/Align-Leader-Text/idi-p/4298872

DRoam
Mentor
inv.ideareview
Autodesk
We’re archiving this Idea because it's been on the board for well over a year and hasn't received many votes from the community. If you want to raise it again and try to gain more support, you're welcome to do so.
inv.ideareview
Autodesk
Status changed to: Archived

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report