Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keep deleted shelled features

Keep deleted shelled features

Hard to make a decent topic title but the explanation will improve this Smiley Very Happy

What i miss sometimes is the possibility to keep the body you have just removed by shelling something.

For instance, you could have designed a duct but as a complete solid.

Later on you want to shell that duct so you'd have a correct weight but ofcourse now you still don't know what the volume is in this duct.

If you'd have the option to split up the duct into two parts (Shelled result and the shelled part that has been deleted) you'd be able to have the volume immediatly.

This also could be applied for concrete castings (volume of the amount of concrete), or liquid substances ... etc.

Happy to hear all of your thoughts!

Cheers!

5 Comments
LT.Rusty
Advisor

I can see this being quite useful.

There's places it would save me some time.  I frequently have to build out a container and then calculate the internal volume.  Right now I usually derive it into a new part, then use it with combine to cut out the form from a block of material, and get the volume of the cut-out part.

Yijiang.Cai
Autodesk

@QBiX, please see the attached image. You could use the workflow below to get the body -

1. Create offset surface using the original body

2. Split the body using the offset surface into two bodies

Shell.PNG

inv.ideareview
Autodesk
Status changed to: Implemented

We could use the offset surface plus split/sculpt to get it done easily, and make it implemented.

Q-Bixx
Contributor

Thanks for the effort, yet i think it's still not quite what i meant.

Just to be sure, could you attach the part file as in your picture so i can have a look at it?

Thank you. 🙂

PS: i work with 2017 version at the moment.

inv.ideareview
Autodesk

@Q-Bixx, it looks that it does not support to upload the model file here. Could you provide the email address here? I will send the dataset to you via email. Thanks!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report