Inventor IdeaStation
Share your ideas about how to improve Inventor with the Development Team.
75 Kudos
EScales

Item Number from Parts List as an Available Property

by Valued Contributor EScales on ‎12-04-2012 11:34 AM

Here's one that I've had requests for several times.

You have an assembly view on a drawing and place a parts list for that view.  Now, you want to place several base views of individual parts for detailing.  Along with each part view, you want the corresponding item number from the parts list.

I know you can edit the view label to include model properties, such as the part name, material, etc, but there's no way to link the item number from the parts list to that part.  It would be nice to link that part to the corresponding item number in the parts list and if the parts list is renumbered, the item numbers associated with each part view would update accordingly.

I've tried placing a balloon and selecting the individual part, but it will only use "1" as the item number, since it is just a component and not an assembly.  Perhaps, when adding a balloon to a part like this, you could select the parts list that you want to reference.  Many times, you may have several sheets of details and still want the item numbers to reference the parts list on sheet 1, where the main assembly view and parts list is located.

Accepted idea [US14620]. Thanks!

Comments
by Valued Contributor timdown73 on ‎12-06-2012 05:35 AM

Totally agree! 

by Contributor MDS-MQ on ‎12-07-2012 09:35 AM

The Bill Of Material editor has had the Item number in it since it was introduced...

If you really wanted to fill in the item No. at the model stage then us a custom I Porperty.

by Valued Contributor EScales on ‎12-07-2012 10:52 AM

This does not do what I am describing.  I want the ITEM column in the Parts List to be a property that can be added in a string of text or in the view label.  If I do what you suggested, the renumbering of the parts list does not update the user property.

by Active Contributor ashley.walker on ‎12-12-2012 04:50 PM

YES! It's the little things like this that would make it better.

by *Expert Elite* on ‎12-19-2012 04:02 AM

Include quantities while your at it. Some shops arn't manufacturer's, they're fabricators. Fabricators need to be able to reference the quantity of a part in a particular assembly in the part's detail. Right now I have to use a convoluted error prone reach around to accomplish this.

by maartenverbunt on ‎01-04-2013 06:17 AM

Yes, this would be a great feature to have. I have seem many drawings go wrong due to the lack of this feature. People just tent to add this information manually, witch in many ways is asking for problems. Same goes for 'text' parameters, it would be awsome to be able to use them in an idw as well.

by *Expert Elite* on ‎01-11-2013 06:10 AM

My company is one of the "fabricator" types, and something like this would be extremely useful for us.  I've been looking into some iLogic code that achieves this, but it would be great if this were built-in functionality for at least weldment assemblies.

I've read several discussion threads about similar ideas, and one common question that comes up is "What about parts used in multiple assemblies?"  I see two ways of handling this issue:

1)  The situations where people want to use this are often in cases where the parts won't be reused anyway (frame components, fabricated steel plate structures, etc).  It could probably do what most people would want it for, even if it only worked for a single assembly.

2)  The item number and/or quantities could be inserted into the part file as custom iProperties, and the names of the properties could include the name of the governing assembly, ex. "ASSY-12345 ITEM#" and "ASSY-12345 QTY".  The user would then simply have to pick the relevant assembly's property when inserting the information into view labels, notes, etc.

by Employee on ‎01-28-2013 10:50 AM
Status changed to: Under Review

by Employee on ‎02-25-2013 02:49 PM
Status changed to: Under Review
As Adam previously stated, this project [US14620] is under review by the development team.
by Active Contributor jerodharbert on ‎03-06-2013 11:18 AM

And......Please add "View Reps" and "Position Reps" as an option to the view label.

Submit Your Ideas

Share and shape product ideas.

New Idea
You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube