Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iProperties - Indication of READ ONLY document

iProperties - Indication of READ ONLY document

When using the iProperties dialog, can we get an indication of the Read Only status of the file we are working on. The BOM editor for example will 'grey out' the text associated with Read Only files.

6 Comments
mrattray
Advisor

I would apend to this idea that iProperties in a read-only file should be editable. I can do it through the API, and no writing to the file is required. So, why is it not availbale in the UI? I often have read-only drawing "masters" where I wish to change a few properties (date, job number, etc.) and print without saving. I have to use iLogic to do this because Inventor won't let me change the rproperties of a read-only file.

inv.ideareview
Autodesk

@MattH_Work & @mrattray, the properties in iProperties dialog can be modified. Could you provide the image or details to show this issue?

MattH_Work
Collaborator

When a file is Read Only (ie checked IN to Vault) the iProperties of that file cannot be modified thru Inventor. Thwre is no indication when enterinfg the iProps dialog that no modificastioj is possible.

Changing a feature will prompt the user to Check Out the file from Vault, but as iProps are locked, they do not send a 'change signal' to Vault, which in tern does not ask the user the take ownership

Matt

inv.ideareview
Autodesk

@MattH_Work, so it is just a scenario for the files which are not checked out from Vault, right?

MattH_Work
Collaborator

For me the issue is mainly when working with Vaulted files, however, any feature can be modifed in a Read Only file (Inventor will warn the user), why cant iProps. I can choose when or if to make the file Read Write at any point, its just that the job stops as far as iProps are concerned if the file is Read Only.

At least disable the text boxes (greyed out) when the file is Read Only so that I know before I start typing that nothing will happen. I type by looking at the keyboard, and it can get quite frustrating to type a full sentance, then look up to find nothing has appeared.

Matt

inv.ideareview
Autodesk
Status changed to: Archived

Thanks for sharing your Idea. We use this forum to guide product development and help users in the best way we can, based on voting. We occasionally merge Ideas or archive old ones to keep the forum working properly - it ensures there is room for people to review new Ideas and that the most relevant and meaningful ones can gain votes. We’re archiving this Idea because it's been on the board for well over a year and hasn't received many votes from the community. If you want to raise it again and try to gain more support, you're welcome to do so. We’ve found that pictures and mock-ups can help get concepts across and win more votes from other users. If you have questions or see a connection between this Idea and others, let us know. - Inventor product team (Inv.idea review)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report