Inventor IdeaStation
Share your ideas about how to improve Inventor with the Development Team.
12 Kudos
CADDapult

Inventor Pipe Auto-Routing; option to constrain to natural X,Y,Z axes

by Distinguished Contributor CADDapult on ‎02-07-2013 12:40 PM

An option to have piping AutoRoutes be automatically constrained to the X,Y,&Z axes would be a huge help. For most industrial piping systems I'd say 99 times out of a hundred the designer wants pipe aligned with the natural axes.  For the times where the route angles don't matter just unselect the option to see the non-plumb routes Inventor offers.

Comments
by *Expert Elite* on ‎05-03-2013 10:10 AM

I like this, but I'd rather have each new run, as well as the top level Tube & Pipe runs assembly automatically constrain origin plane to origin plane.  Tube & Pipe assy constrained to parent assembly, and each successive run constrained to the Tube & Pipe assy.  That way NOTHING moves by accident, causing youe entire assembly to get.... ugly.

by Valued Contributor schnautza on ‎06-13-2013 09:34 AM
I just worked on some tube and pipe and the only autoroutes it would give me were diagonal. I had to fight it by manually adding elbows where I wanted them in the assembly environment and constraining them in the XYZ axes. Took a lot longer than it should have.
by Valued Contributor lesmfunk on ‎09-10-2014 11:44 AM

And, for bent tube routing, the xyz bend machine output file starts somewhere in outer space. It should start at X0, Y0, Z0.

Great Idea!

Submit Your Ideas

Share and shape product ideas.

New Idea
You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
IdeaStation Guidelines
Review guidelines and best practices
before posting a new idea.

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube