Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor - Double Click to Edit Text in Sketched Symbols

Inventor - Double Click to Edit Text in Sketched Symbols

I've prepared several sketched symbols to match my companies standards for view titles, section labels, etc. Within these, I have prompted text entries. The reason I use the sketched symbols is to get proper text alignment, font, and size. I'll fill these out when I place the sketched symbol in the drawing, but many times I need to change the text later, especially if I copy and paste existing symbols to duplicate them but still need to change the text.

It would be nice to have an option to double-click to edit the text in these instead of RMB and searching for the "Edit Field Text" in the menu that pops up. This would save a lot of time. Dimensions and leaders have this built in and are very quick and easy to edit.

I don't really understand the function of the current double-click on sketched symbols - it pulls up a list of all your symbols and lets you choose between them to change to a different symbol...this is useless to me. The only time I've ever used the current double-click is for the infrequent rotate and scale command, which honestly I think should be placed somewhere else - it took me forever to find them the first time.

So would it be possible to create an option that allows users to customize what doublie-clicking does?

13 Comments
jtylerbc
Mentor

This is particularly annoying to my users that are mostly coming from an AutoCAD background.  They are used to being able to double-click a block with attributes to fill them out - I don't see any reason why Inventor sketched symbols shouldn't be treated the same way.

Always a little disappointing when something is actually MORE user-friendly in AutoCAD than Inventor.

I agree that the options available from the current double-click are needed much less frequently than the field text - I think they should switch places, such that double-click changes field text and the current options are accessed from the right-click menu.

TedescoATC
Participant

Is there a way to give this thread 10,000 thumbs up?

I have always found it odd that Symbols are MORE time consuming to edit and modify in Inventor than blocks are in AutoCAD. If an Inventor Symbol has editable text, Edit Field Text should be the DEFAULT behavior for double-clicking.

schnautza
Advocate

I don't know why there aren't more than 8 kudos on this. I fight the urge to double-click on a daily basis, having to work in both AutoCAD and Inventor every day. This seems like it would be SO EASY to implement. Come on, AutoDesk!

TedescoATC
Participant

Still no progress on this?  Has anyone come up with a script or anything to implement this?

schnautza
Advocate
bump - I'm still waiting for a solution on this one.
TedescoATC
Participant

Bump.

Does anyone know if this is being addressed in R2015?

inv.ideareview
Autodesk
Thanks for sharing your Idea. We use this forum to guide product development and help users in the best way we can based on voting. We occasionally merge Ideas or archive old ones to keep the forum working properly - it ensures there is room for people to review new Ideas and that the most relevant and meaningful ones can gain votes. We’re archiving this Idea because it's been on the board for well over a year and hasn't received many votes from the community. If you want to raise it again and try to gain more support, you're welcome to do so. We’ve found that pictures and mock-ups can help get concepts across and win more votes from other users. If you have questions or see a connection between this Idea and others, let us know. - Inventor product team (Inv.idea review)
inv.ideareview
Autodesk
Status changed to: Archived

hoinox11
Explorer

thumbs up on this, it's very annoying coming from a CAD background that you can't just double click and edit the text.  Defaulting double click to edit the text instead of editing the inserted symbol would be better in my opinion for a lot of folks transitioning

zachlANPSJ
Explorer

The fact that the only way to access this command is through a right click menu is just awful UI design. Please fix this.

msnamboo
Explorer

I too am looking for a way to edit text in sketch symbols

Any solutions?

Yijiang.Cai
Autodesk
Status changed to: Under Review

Many thanks for posting idea to us, and tracked as [INVGEN-69342].

Yijiang.Cai
Autodesk
Status changed to: Future Consideration

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report