Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dark mode for Inventor

Dark mode for Inventor

I personally think to add a dark mode to Inventor is a great idea, as many users who use Inventor are staring into there monitors/screen for a long period of time and I believe this feature would reduce eye strain and it would also give fusion a classic look and feel, and also let the user the option of how dark and light they what there UI to be. (Example below)

if this is not possible an alternative feature could be a blue light filter which also reduces eye strain.

For example Adobe CC products -

20130515-idcc-1v3_Start_experience

95 Comments
mike.4life
Contributor

A new dark user interface for Autodesk Inventor will be nice, like AutoCAd does with option to adjust to a diferentes tones between light and dark.

Tags (3)
lkrenzler
Collaborator

I prefer the dark interface colors of Max and Maya when working long hours.  The reduction in eye strain is very noticable.

All the entertainment packages have this for a good reason.  Could we at least have it as an option?  Not too hard to do I would think.

Int.jpg

Tags (3)
The_Test
Advocate

I would love to see Inventor with a dark interface.

The_Test
Advocate

I just found this other post related to this: Inventor Dark UI like AutoCAD

The_Test
Advocate
freesbee
Collaborator

....they have already made an alpha: I saw it last October in an internal event.

It looked already amazing as an alpha (much better than the "transparent UI" project).

We need to vote up also here (this idea is already above 50):

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideas/inventor-dark-ui-like-autocad/idc-p/6794915#M16031

and hope that they will allow us to use transparency (as PNG at least) when creating custom symbols...

The_Test
Advocate

I would love to see this feature implemented, Now there are 3 ideas about this request, putting all the votes together makes a total of  114 votes on 05/02/18.

Hope this would be enough votes Smiley Wink

56 Votes - Dark mode for Inventor

24 Votes - Inventor Dark UI like AutoCAD

34 Votes - Dark color interface option like Max and Maya

114 Votes Total

@The_Test I also made another idea of this for fusion 360, which has 176 votes on 20/05/2018. so adding all this up will result in 290 votes for a dark UI for Autodesk products. hope this is enough now Smiley Very Happy

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/fusion-360-ideastation/dark-mode-for-fusion-360/idi-p/7442083

blair
Mentor

I run both Windows and Mac environments. The Dark Mode in Apples "Mojave" release is much easier on the eyes.

I use a number of Adobe products and love the "dark" environment as well. Even with the latest release of MS Office, you can run a dark grey mode.

pball
Advisor

Well Inventor 2020 dropped with a light theme, really Autodesk? No dark theme? Shame on you.

leowarren34
Mentor

Shame on Autodesk for the night is dark and full of terrors and Inventor is bright with alot of eye strain.

tbfab
Explorer

I like the new 2020 look but the light theme hurts my eyes

freesbee
Collaborator

@dan_szymanski this idea is above 140 and the alpha that has been shown in 2017 was already quite nice. How can that be still "gathering support"? If Loren doesn't like the dark mode, it doesn't mean that Inventor shouldn't have one, don't you think?

dan_szymanski
Autodesk

Hi @freesbee, we are well aware of the ask for a dark theme.  I would encourage you to engage in our alpha/beta forum regarding Inventor futures here (especially related to new UI paradigms).  Lastly, I am not aware of what Loren's opinion or stance on this specific topic is, however I do know that his taste in socks is a bit different. 🙂

loren_welch
Autodesk

@freesbee  and all...

as Dan mentioned, we understand the Dark theme is highly requested. The visual refresh of Inventor is an ongoing project. As an example, AutoCAD did their visual refresh last year with 2019...but didn’t have a refreshed dark theme until their 2020 release. 

https://blogs.autodesk.com/autocad/introducing-autocad-2020-autocad-lt-2020/new-dark-theme/ 

In short; we know it is something users want and we are prioritizing it along with other user requests for Inventor. I encourage users to join the feedback community to provide additional feedback and validate work we do in this area. 

Thanks,

-lw 

ps - contrary to what Dan thinks...there is nothing wrong with my sock selection.

49C60F20-ED06-4FE1-9F4E-5DC9CE732C4D.jpeg

leowarren34
Mentor

Cheers @loren_welch, Nice socks...

petar.vejic
Observer

What the hell Autodesk? My eyes started bleeding after I opened the new Inventor 2020. Why have you removed the option for a dark theme?

craig.embry
Enthusiast

It is disappointing to see AutoDesk following suit behind Gmail for White themes with their updates (stay away from the new Gmail, it also wipes themes), even though everyone hates them (besides maybe Apple phone users...).  I look at a screen all day and prefer not to see a glaring white screen staring back at me.

The white theme is bad enough, but the socks.... now that is something different.  I am not sure I would show those off on a never forgiving permanent internet displayed forum.  But to each their own.  You know what, keep the socks, just get that Dark Theme released.

lkrenzler
Collaborator

Haha, the socks are dark enough.  Could we at least get that theme for now?

farabg
Participant

Changing the GUI is unpleasant. But when badly done, then it is terrible. Burning eyes, with poor contrast and harder perception of icons. There is only a partial return to the old GUI Inventor  2020.JPGinventor  2019.JPGwithout setting the icon color

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report