Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Allow iProperties *and* Parameters in ALL text objects

Allow iProperties *and* Parameters in ALL text objects

We currently can put both iProperties and model parameters in text notes and leaders, but for some reason we can't put iProperties in dimensions, or Parameters in View Labels. We should be able to put both iProperties and model parameters in any text object in a drawing, no matter what type.

Parameters & iProperties in drawing text.jpg

10 Comments
mrack42
Advocate

Calling out an ITEM number in a view label seems like it would be fairly common.  Please allow the ITEM text parameter to be inserted into a view label... possibly falling under Type: Properties - Drawing, or maybe a new Type: Properties - BOM/Parts List.

On small assembly drawings, I have to call out the Detail # (ITEM property) and Description below each individual detail on a sheet.  I found how to insert the "Description" (as specified in the BOM), but could not find a way to grab the "Item" number.  This leaves me w/ the choices of either manually entering the number (which obviously isn't going to be as 'smart'), or (what I decided on) use the "Stock" number property in my parts list instead of ITEM, which CAN be inserted into a view label... though, that's not really what "Stock" number is for.  Also, I've found that when you sort a parts list by Item number, it sorts properly (1, 2...9, 10, 11), whereas when you sort by stock number, it will sort as such: 1, 10, 11, 2, 3... 9.  Long story short, this method also presents other problems... stock numbers wouldn't change across separate drawings, whereas Item numbers likely would.

Tags (2)
Pete_Mort
Advocate

Missing this functionality too! seems crazy to have all of this useful information in iproperties and paramters only to be able to access it in certain situations. I'd like to be able to use the part number in sketch text ensure our parts are always engraved with the correct part numbers but for some reason iproperties is greyed out when adding sketch text to a part.

iprops in sketch text.JPG

DRoam
Mentor

That is interesting, @Pete_Mort, that would be a very useful functionality and I see no reason why it should be grayed out. Broaden this request then to being able to use both iProperties and Parameters in any text object, in any document type.

DRoam
Mentor

I wish I'd mentioned this in the original post. But another thing is missing here:

The first dropdown for both iProperties and Parameters should be whether to look at the pointed-to/labeled component (if the text is for a leader, dimension, view label, etc.), or at a specifically chosen component file.

Currently, for iProperties, we have no choice but to use the pointed-to/labeled component; and for Parameters, we have no chose but to specifically chose a component file. Of course, if it's just free-floating text, the pointed-to/labeled option isn't applicable. But perhaps it should be--it would be nice to be able to associate free text with a selected component like we can with leader text.

But that's another issue. The point here is sometimes we want to pull information from a specific part or assembly file, and sometimes we want to pull information from whatever is being pointed to/labeled. We should be able to choose which workflow to use for both iProperties and Parameters, and not be restricted to one of those options for iProperties and the other for Parameters, which makes little sense to begin with.

Andrew2803
Advocate

Hi @Pete_Mort,

just bumped into this need today, I strongly agree!!

Autodesk pls. let us refer to any kind of iProperties in any kind of text boxes!!

Thx.

inv.ideareview
Autodesk
Thanks for sharing your Idea. We use this forum to guide product development and help users in the best way we can based on voting. We occasionally merge Ideas or archive old ones to keep the forum working properly - it ensures there is room for people to review new Ideas and that the most relevant and meaningful ones can gain votes. We’re archiving this Idea because it's been on the board for well over a year and hasn't received many votes from the community. If you want to raise it again and try to gain more support, you're welcome to do so. We’ve found that pictures and mock-ups can help get concepts across and win more votes from other users. If you have questions or see a connection between this Idea and others, let us know. - Inventor product team (Inv.idea review)
inv.ideareview
Autodesk
Status changed to: Archived

ryanj
Explorer

I could greatly use this ability as well.  I can't believe this hasn't been an option for years now.

carlson
Advocate

Any movement here?  Would love the part number engraved on the parts.   We currently manually enter it but when the design changes and the part number changes there's no way to update it.  

jeffg28CLY
Advocate

I'm not sure if replying here will un-archive this old thread, but closing on 10 years later, Inventor 2024 still doesn't have this in Geometry Text. I've got a part with a few variants, and I wanted to put part numbers on each variant, with parameter-driven text on a curve, and parameters to ensure it's all centered properly. Looks like I'll need a new feature for each part number.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report