Did you mean: 

Insert Constraint Lock Rotation

Insert Constraint Lock Rotation

I want the option to lock the rotation when using the insert constraint

9.JPG

81 Comments
PaulMunford
Autodesk
Kudos, kudos, kudos, kudos! (P.S. Solidworks has this already)
kevinb
Advocate

These would have to be two different constraints from the same  menu option, ie: adding an angle constraint immediately aftward.  Unless you grounded it after you placed it.

yannick3
Collaborator

it's implemented yet if you use Joint

dan_szymanski
Autodesk

Hello Bendesign04 & everyone,

Would providing a "ground" option within the Constraint dialog satisfy the need?  It could simply ground the component after the insert constraint is created? 

As Kevin indicated above, creating a secondary angular constraint with necessary inputs might be required (& would seem a little clunky - IMO).  Also as Yannick indicated, Joints (introduced in Inv 2014) permit explicit control over degrees of mobility within a single workflow or Joint feature.  Thanks for any additional feedback surrounding this Idea.

-Dan

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Gathering Support

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Please disregard my last "ground" question. Just realized downstream modifications would break the insert constraints. -Dan
kevinb
Advocate

I suspect that the main thing is trying to lock down all six degrees of freedom from a single constraint to save calculations.  I suppose you could have it immediately work from one of the origin planes on your round object, which would make it a three click operation with a defaulted option for the axis.  I believe that Inventor likes to spin objects within a flexible assembly (I've had this problems with my actuating cylinder models) to make sure things don't align if it turns one screw.

Could someone who wants this clarify if their reason for this goes beyond faster locking down of degrees of freedom.

AMiltenburg
Enthusiast

One additional suggestion: When directly manipulating the component with a locked insert constraint the component rotates with an angle snap. This enables the user to rotate the component easily for showing important features on a drawing view. The component will off course stay rotationally locked when other components are manipulated.

The angle snap value could be configured using application or document properties.

Mike.Hattingh
Contributor

This would be great to place a bolt and stop it rotating in a one step process! Very helpful and a big time saver!

DavidTruyens
Advocate

Hi Ben,

You could easily do this with a rigid joint, like Yannick mentioned:

joint.PNG

It would be nice if a joint now is used to place bolted connections or other content center parts.

Regards,

David

dan_szymanski
Autodesk

Hello, this can be accomplished by placing a Rigid Joint (like some have mentioned below).  Thanks! -Dan

steinar.sorem
Advocate

We do not use Joint, it has their exclusions. But this ide is really great and save us a lot of work

DRoam
Mentor

I would still like to see this option added to the Insert Constraint. I try to avoid Joints becasue so far they've been very buggy.

Ben-Cornelius
Collaborator

i do not except this as a solution this is one of the top ideas and is still getting kudos many operations use the insert constraint. No one uses joint to constrain fasteners with it does do even make sense its not a joint. just put this functionality option in insert. i do not except silly workarounds nor should any one else. I use apps to speed up constraining bolts that use insert constraint,content center uses insert constraint, imates are with constraints not joints and freedom of movement slows the assembliy down.

DRoam
Mentor

Agreed. The "solution provided" status should be removed. Joints were implemented in Inventor 2014, which was released in March of 2013. This idea was created in December of 2013.... EIGHT MONTHS after Joints were added to Inventor.

This idea would not be number six out of over four thousand ideas if users were content with the proposed 'solution'.

Marco.Takx
Mentor

Agree. Content Center Files uses iMates/constraints during placement. No one deletes the constraints and replays them for Joints. 

If they do that, then it cost them a lot of time. So yes, place that check box for insert constraint. 

fhansson925
Participant

I have worked in Solidworks for a while and there I use the tickbox "lock rotation" on all contents to get a fully constraint assembly. Working with planes or rigid joints is just cumbersome. This was one of the first options I was missing in Inventor.

holzmand16
Contributor

I agree that a solution has not been provided.  I have seen more than a few cases where the "Solution Provided" is a cumbersome work around. I had a case of them saying my idea was a "Duplicate" because they don't know the difference betwen a "Symmetric" mate vs "Inbetween" mate.  

DRoam
Mentor

@Ben-Cornelius, would you consider re-creating this request in the IdeaStation and explicitly stating in its description that we still want this functionality, even with full knowledge of the Rigid Joint? That way we can prove that people still want this just as badly even fully knowing about the Rigid Joint. Many people tried to say that, but for some reason this was moved from the IdeaStation anyway.

If you want to re-create the idea, please post a link to it here once you've done so.

If you don't want to, I will.

JDMather
Consultant

I am not a coder - but somewhere deep in the bowels of Inventor the developers have already written the code for doing this.

It just needs to be exposed to the user as a checkbox.

The rigid joint has already been discussed.

Other evidence is in the behavior of Insert Constraints in the Dynamic Simulation Environment.

When going into DS the Insert constraints automatically have the rotational DOF removed.

In fact, Inventor seems to somehow do this in an intelligent manner - preserving DOF and changing to Revolution Joint on some Insert constraints and removing the DOF on others.  I have never experimented with trying to determine the logic, I just know that it generally "gets it right" and I seldom have to tell Inventor to Retain DOF.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report