Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incorporate Non Uniform Scaling

Incorporate Non Uniform Scaling

Issue:

I have a model that I want to scale in X and Y direcions, but I don't want to scale it in Z direction.

Suggestion:

It would be nice to have the SDK scaling tool incorporated into the out of the box Derive tool in Inventor.

Related thread:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor/Scale-a-part-with-different-scale-factors-in-3-direc...

4 Comments
Cadmanto
Mentor

Curtis,

Are you suggesting this functionality to be removed from the derived portion and placed in a normal feature creation location?

Curtis_Waguespack
Consultant

Hi Cadmanto, 

I had a typo in my original idea posting that I've corrected now, so hopefully it makes more sense now. But here is further clarification, in case I was too brief originally.

Currently the ability to scale in this manner is not in the Derive tool, and the user is required to figure out how to locate and install the Derived Part - Scale and Position tool from the Software Development Kit tools mentioned in the linked thread, in order to do this.

This makes this ability difficult to discover and use, and ultimately it is not supported by Autodesk, since the SDK tools are "extras".

I'm suggesting that the ability to scale non uniformly be added to Inventor's out of the box Derive tool.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

mark.healey
Observer

This tool works great.  I'm suprised though when I create the derived model with a different shrink in 3 axis that there isn't a reference such as a parameter created with these values.  for example if I scale X axis at 1.200, Y axis at 1.210 and z at 1.225 I can't see these values in the model for reference or calculation use.

Does anyone have an idea how this can be done?

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Implemented

This idea was implemented within Autodesk Inventor 2016. Nonuniform scaling is an available option when conducting a Direct Edit > Scale modification. More information can be obtained here.  Special thanks to everyone who cast a vote for it.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report