Inventor IdeaStation
Share your ideas about how to improve Inventor with the Development Team.
14 Kudos
sam_m

Incorporate MDT import within Inventor

by *Expert Elite* on ‎01-21-2013 01:04 AM

At present, to import any MDT (Mechanical Desktop) data into Inventor you need MDT installed alongside Inventor.  The last version of MDT was 2009 and thus is now no longer officially supported.  With new operating systems being released (e.g. the recent Windows 8) we need a way for a long term solution to importing/using old MDT data as there will come a time that MDT can either no longer be authorized/registered or even usable on a new OS.  Why cannot MDT import code be incorporated into Inventor, much like all the recent SolidWorks/Catia/Pro-Eng import routines?

We all knew about MDT's termination long before the 2009 release (and, in my company's case, we had moved over to Inventor well before then) - but it doesn't ignore the fact that products are still being built using drawings created by MDT and thus we still have MDT data on the system (hell, we still build some products from hand-drawn drawings, designed prior to CAD).

I am sure we are not unique in our need to preserve our long-term accessability to our legacy data and hope Autodesk can allow long-term customers a way to open MDT data from Inventor.

Comments
by kyron.gustafson on ‎01-21-2013 05:46 AM

I agree using an installation of MDT 2009 to migrate files into Inventor was a lame solution to begin with.  We were once told by Autodesk that they would continue to provide MDT as long as there was demand.  Then we were told that MDT would be discontinued.

Those of us who were using MDT had built a substantial number of files by the time we were forced to switch over to Inventor.  We need to maintain access to those files.

by Valued Mentor on ‎02-04-2013 06:04 AM

I agree 100% Autodesk don't relies that many Engineering Co's will have historical designs done in MDT that they may need at a later date to produce new or spare parts but can not get access to them because of this STUPID developer not listening to us. Autodesk don't relies how much extra cost are involved in time and wages IF these parts can not be easily accessed for re-uses or amendment.

I'm  freelance, spend quite some time in positions where I have to use DWG viewer to access an MDT DWG because the Company dose not have the time or personnel to install MDT, there is also the attitude why bother if its obsolete !? attitude.

ALL Autodesk are interested in is the "CHINING CHINING" of the cash register running up massive, rip-off, profits for them s that they can buy out the opposition and dominate the world of CAD & Design Software.

by Employee on ‎03-19-2013 11:14 AM
Status changed to: Future Consideration

Submit Your Ideas

Share and shape product ideas.

New Idea
You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
IdeaStation Guidelines
Review guidelines and best practices
before posting a new idea.

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube