Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incorporate MDT import within Inventor

Incorporate MDT import within Inventor

At present, to import any MDT (Mechanical Desktop) data into Inventor you need MDT installed alongside Inventor.  The last version of MDT was 2009 and thus is now no longer officially supported.  With new operating systems being released (e.g. the recent Windows 😎 we need a way for a long term solution to importing/using old MDT data as there will come a time that MDT can either no longer be authorized/registered or even usable on a new OS.  Why cannot MDT import code be incorporated into Inventor, much like all the recent SolidWorks/Catia/Pro-Eng import routines?

We all knew about MDT's termination long before the 2009 release (and, in my company's case, we had moved over to Inventor well before then) - but it doesn't ignore the fact that products are still being built using drawings created by MDT and thus we still have MDT data on the system (hell, we still build some products from hand-drawn drawings, designed prior to CAD).

I am sure we are not unique in our need to preserve our long-term accessability to our legacy data and hope Autodesk can allow long-term customers a way to open MDT data from Inventor.

13 Comments
kyron.gustafson
Community Visitor

I agree using an installation of MDT 2009 to migrate files into Inventor was a lame solution to begin with.  We were once told by Autodesk that they would continue to provide MDT as long as there was demand.  Then we were told that MDT would be discontinued.

Those of us who were using MDT had built a substantial number of files by the time we were forced to switch over to Inventor.  We need to maintain access to those files.

Paul-Mason
Collaborator

I agree 100% Autodesk don't relies that many Engineering Co's will have historical designs done in MDT that they may need at a later date to produce new or spare parts but can not get access to them because of this STUPID developer not listening to us. Autodesk don't relies how much extra cost are involved in time and wages IF these parts can not be easily accessed for re-uses or amendment.

I'm  freelance, spend quite some time in positions where I have to use DWG viewer to access an MDT DWG because the Company dose not have the time or personnel to install MDT, there is also the attitude why bother if its obsolete !? attitude.

ALL Autodesk are interested in is the "CHINING CHINING" of the cash register running up massive, rip-off, profits for them s that they can buy out the opposition and dominate the world of CAD & Design Software.

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Future Consideration

fabianrebora
Enthusiast

I have made more than 10,000 drawings made with MDT. And I can not import the parts with their operations. This can not be.

MSchwank
Advocate
Hi Fabian, a while ago I went the route to export STEP files via batch utility, but sure, would be much nicer bc of more functionality to import the MDT files: http://forums.autodesk.com/autodesk/attachments/autodesk/39/17696/2/Batch_.png http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autocad-mechanical-general/degtools-iges-translator-tools-adxbatch-exe...
fabianrebora
Enthusiast

Thank
But it's not the same,
When you import a file sted, I lose the tree of operations and have only a solid
The idea is to import from MTD to have operations, with the ability to be modified.

MSchwank
Advocate
Hi, sure its not the same, its lacking functionality.
fabianrebora
Enthusiast

Not only should import the 3D
It should also import 2D drawings of parts that have long carried out again

MSchwank
Advocate
Are you able to make good experience, with imported Layouts from MDT to Inventor?
fabianrebora
Enthusiast

I used a virtual Windows XP.
I have installed Inventor and MTD 2004.
Inventor combirte only solid. No 2D drawings

I use it only for complex parts.
In simple parts it is easier to draw them again.

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Under Review

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Gathering Support

yuki.nagayama
Autodesk

Some users still have many MDT files. The conversion feature is still needed in the new version and additional functionality is highly desired.
I also do not think that MDT import should be disabled in the future.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report