Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Improve Drawing Intersection Marks and dimensioning

Improve Drawing Intersection Marks and dimensioning

I think the current way to dimension intersections is very bad. It is not obvious to new users and is time consuming and if done incorrect you have to start all over again not only that but the intersetion marks are either messy or non exsistent. I propose a button on the ribbon next to the center marks for intersections where you can pink one line then other to make a mark you could then pick up on the points of the marks to dimension.

11.JPG12.JPG

5 Comments
jletcher
Advisor

I don't see anything wrong with it at all it is not messy and works like it should. Not messy and not hard to understand..

Also I would never dimension a sheet metal bend like that it is not wrong just real had to check in QC..

But I think you did something wrong. Like pick the center of the radius on the one side and not an intersection...

inter.JPG

But I dimension this way but nothing wrong with your way just how you picked the one side.

my way.JPG

jletcher
Advisor

Your not picking right. I get marks on both ends. Did you pick the center of the radius and not do an intersection for the one on the right?

And really how hard is it to right click and pick intersection? Been this way from day one. No one ever said it was hard.

And I don't see a mess that's the way it should be..

inter.JPG

The one on the left I would dimension like this but each to their own.

my way.JPG

But mine are not messy. Have you set up your styles yet?

rmerlob
Advocate

Actually it is longer, you have to pick 4 lines and press intersection twice.

this is really annoying, the ´´Intersection mark´´ option the OP suggests will benefit me a lot as well.

Just imagine having to do 3 dimensions from the same intersection, you have to click the same 2 lines 3 times and press intersection 6 times as well.

With this you would just insert your view, insert intersection marks and and center marks as needed and then quickly dimension the drawing.

And that is not even mentioning the fact that you cant dimension to an arc-to-line intersection (that annoys me beyond belief)

Great idea OP

Regards,

RM

kimK7B54
Advocate

Agreed.  The current "dim to intersection" method is nothing short of sloppy and cumbersome.  It's never been intuitive, and if you miss-pick by just a little, you have to start the entire tedious procedure over.  No sensible draftsman/designer would consider this a simple, efficient means of dimensioning.  Anytime I have intersections to dimension to, it takes a minimum 8 times longer to produce the dimension than a regular dimension; Like AutoCAD,  you should be able to RMB pre-select that you want an intersect dim, then pick the two entities.  If you accidentally pick mid-air, it should not kick you out of the command, but wait until an actual entity is selected.

DRoam
Mentor

Agreed, the current mechanism is far too clunky and completely undiscoverable. I've literally shown it to the same coworker about 10 times, he just can't get the order of operations down. 

In addition, there's no mechanism at all for dimensioning to intersections in Chain Sets. You have to just place a dimension somewhere, and then you can drag it, hover over the lines you want to intersect between, then hover the mouse near the intersection until you get the yellow intersection-snap dot. Very, very roundabout and cumbersome.

We dimension to intersections all the time, so I would love for this workflow to be improved.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report