Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Import Mechanical Desktop files into Inventor as dummy solid,,, easily

Import Mechanical Desktop files into Inventor as dummy solid,,, easily

I would like to be able and drag/import a Mechanical Desktop part or assembly into Inventor the same way .step / .iges / .SLDPRT and .SLDASM files are treated.  

To be more specific - no feature recognition, no need for Mechanical Desktop 2009 installed on your computer.  Just a simple and quick drag and drop as a dummy solid.

Dinosaur Desktop might be extinct, but that doesn't mean we have to let all of our old jobs and designs die..

dinosaur desktop.jpg

4 Comments
sam_m
Advisor

is this a duplicate of my existing MDT request?

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-IdeaStation/Incorporate-MDT-import-within-Inventor/idi-p/3757...

bottom line, Inventor needs better built-in MDT import tools to allow us to access our old data now MDT is no longer supported...

crmayo
Advocate

Hi Sam_m.  I took your post as a request to translate mdt parts with feature recognition without having Desktop installed.  I feel Autodesk labeled your idea as Future Consideration for this reason.  I am hoping that with a request of "dummy solid" (no feature recognition) it makes the idea simpler to implement.

inv.ideareview
Autodesk
Thanks for sharing your Idea. We use this forum to guide product development and help users in the best way we can based on voting. We occasionally merge Ideas or archive old ones to keep the forum working properly- it ensures there is room for people to review new Ideas and that the most relevant and meaningful ones can gain votes. We’re archiving this Idea because it's been on the board for well over a year and hasn't received many votes from the community. If you want to raise it again and try to gain more support, you're welcome to do so. We’ve found that pictures and mock-ups can help get concepts across and win more votes from other users. If you have questions or see a connection between this Idea and others, let us know. - Inventor product team (Inv.idea review)
inv.ideareview
Autodesk
Status changed to: Archived

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report