Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IDW Improvement... Draft View Copy / Paste

IDW Improvement... Draft View Copy / Paste

Draft views in the IDW has been around for a really long time.  Currently, there is no direct way to copy/paste a draft view from one idw to another.  there is a workaround to copy/paste the sheet with the draft view and then delete all the unwanted views.  That does not work too well if there is already views existing in the drawing that you wnat to place the draft view into.

I also do not want to define a new "Sketched Symbol" because I stilll have to add the dimensions to it.

Draft_View_Copy.png

18 Comments
JSBulgin
Observer

I second the above request. This option is available in SolidWorks since 2008, or maybe even before that release.. Time to step it up Autodesk.. These kind of things are HUGE timesavers.  

indalkar.d
Enthusiast

Inventor does not allowed copy and paste draft view from one sheet to another that facilites needs to be there that would really helpful and productive.

Dattatray Indalkar

Tags (2)
KarelC
Enthusiast

I think it is possible. I can paste draft view and copy to the same sheet, another sheet or another draft file.

livewire77
Enthusiast

It is posible with base view or projected view, but not posible for section and detail view. At least in my 2014. There are situations , when it would be useful.

karthur1
Mentor

I also have a ideastation post requesting the same thing (click here).  In 2016, it is NOT possible to do this even in the same sheet.  You can copy/paste the sketch elements in the sheet, but that does is very little use when dimensions have been placed on the view.  The dimensions are not copied and must be redone.  It would be a huge timesaver if the entire draft view could be copied/paste in the same sheet AND/OR copied to a different sheet.

Psvedberg
Participant

Hey!

I was just forced to switch from Inventor 2015 to 2017 and im wondering where the option to copy a sketch went?

Im pretty sure it used to show up if i right clicked a finished sketch. The only way right now is if i edit the sketch, mark all the parts of the sketch(where is the option to mark an entire figure with 1 action) i want to copy and put it the same sketch. But i cant copy the sketch to another page.

Copysketch.jpg

yannick3
Collaborator

Hi

create sketch

exit sketch and copy it

create drawing

clic draft view feature icon

set new scale or keep it 1:1 click ok graphic window and RMB    Paste and your sketch will appear on the left bottom sheet side

Psvedberg
Participant

As you can see in my snapshot i dont have the option to copy a sketch(ctrl c does not work either), and i am already in the drawing i want to copy it too, just another page.

matt_jlt
Collaborator

Can't believe this isn't already done. Definitely needed.

andrewdroth
Advisor

This really needs to be addressed. If you do a search on the forums people have been asking for this since draft views were introduced.

http://bit.ly/2w008Uz

There is really no good way of adding standard details to Inventor drawings.

Yes you could use sketch symbols, but then you have to draw the dimensions in by hand, or insert a screenshot of a draft view.

It's naive for Autodesk to consider draft views a "hack" and that they don't have a legitimate function for technical drawings.

ananyev
Participant

And please update DrawingView.CopyTo() method to fully support the Draft View Copy / Paste operation via the Inventor API.

enga7mad7egazy
Contributor

Ability to Copy Draft View from drawing to another with all proprieties and dimensions

1.jpg

this option will save more time.

jpi656UL
Participant

Very good idea, totally support it.

Frodl
Advocate

Please add this functionality !!!!!!

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Future Consideration

Idea added to backlog for future consideration [59374]. Thanks!

Yijiang.Cai
Autodesk
Status changed to: Accepted

Yijiang.Cai
Autodesk
Status changed to: Implemented

This idea has been implemented within Autodesk Inventor 2023.1. Please review the Inventor 2023.1 What's New article here. For more information regarding how you may leverage the feature, and please review this page. Special thanks to everyone who cast a vote for it.

karthur1
Mentor

Excellent !! 

karthur1_0-1657798263481.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report