Inventor IdeaStation
Share your ideas about how to improve Inventor with the Development Team.
53 Kudos
pberry

Identify source of projected geometry in sketches

by Contributor pberry on ‎12-06-2012 07:34 PM

I would like to RMB on the projected curve and have the option to highlight or name the source feature in the tree.

Very often I have to edit models with very long and complicated trees.  Sketches often have projected geometry from other sketches or edges that were consumed far up in the tree.  Identifying the source of the projected curve can often be very difficult. 

Accepted idea [US14253]. Thanks!
Comments
by Valued Contributor timdown73 on ‎12-07-2012 06:49 AM

It's difficult for sure.  I avoid projecting sketches as much as possible just for that reason.

by *Expert Elite* on ‎01-17-2013 06:24 AM

Also, for adaptive projections from in-place edits in assemblies, would be great to extend this idea to also identifiying the source part.

by Employee on ‎01-29-2013 01:06 PM
Status changed to: Future Consideration
Nice idea. [US14253]
by Distinguished Contributor FProcp on ‎02-05-2013 05:55 AM

:smileyvery-happy: I totally agree with this. It can be so so so difficult to edit a projected curve/line when you cannot remember which sketch it was projected from. Especially if working on a model created by someone else.

I would also like to RMB on the projected curve and have the option to highlight or name the source feature in the tree or in a drop-down menu or something.

I don't like using projected edges for this sole reason. They are very difficult to edit later because it's hard to find the parent/source sketch/feature they are driven by.

by Employee ‎03-01-2013 11:39 AM - edited ‎03-01-2013 11:40 AM
Status changed to: Under Review

This project [US14253] is under review by the development team.

by Employee on ‎03-18-2013 08:40 AM
Status changed to: Accepted
Accepted idea [US14253]. Thanks!
Submit Your Ideas

Share and shape product ideas.

New Idea
You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
IdeaStation Guidelines
Review guidelines and best practices
before posting a new idea.

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube