Inventor IdeaStation
Share your ideas about how to improve Inventor with the Development Team.
New Idea
5 Kudos

Per my forum question:

I'm a bit fussy about my visual style used. I like "Shaded with edges", and I want the edges black. I have set up the display to this setting in Appllication Options, Display tab (Use application Settings), and Settings button. Excellent, that's nice. (I have also mapped the numpad 6 to that style, along with 5 is Shaded with hidden edges, and 4 is wireframe).

However, In Inventor 2014 Stress Analysis and Dynamic simulation, the visual style defaults to "Shaded" (no edges). Ok, i can live with that, I guess. I'll just hit NumPad 6 and it looks good again.

Ctrl-Tab to another open file, make a change or two, come back to the DynSim and - hang on, where are my edges?? Ok, i can just hit 6 again, but should I have to? I haven't ever seen this display property changed when changing between files before.

30 Kudos
exSWX

Align Balloons to an Edge

by Valued Contributor exSWX on ‎11-10-2014 06:50 PM

I'd like the ability to align the balloons on a drawing to be aligned to an edge.

Currently the only options are Horizontal or Vertical

Align 2 edge02.PNG

6 Kudos
karl.hosking

Inventor Drawing - Style Override

by karl.hosking on ‎11-19-2014 03:31 PM

Upon editing text in an Inventor drawing via "Format Text", if any typographical emphasis (bold, italics, underline) or other font changes are modified on the text, instantly that text is no longer tied to the attributed style ("Note Text (ISO)" for example). Inventor however still reports that the edited text is indeed actively referring to a style, when in fact it's not.

I propose a simple tick box, that when any typographical emphasis is engaged on text that a tick-box called "Style Override" engages automatically, which clearly tells the user/editor that the active style is being overridden.

Style Override.jpg

If these "Format Text" manual changes need to be removed at a later date, all that's required is for this tick-box to be de-selected, and the text will again return to its designated style. To further assist this particular workflow, for multiple text entries that need to return to their original style, they could all be selected and then from a right click menu "Style Override" could be disengaged, returning all selected text to their original style.

Style Override 2.jpg

Are there any further thoughts on this idea? Good, bad, ugly?

20 Kudos
ThalesNorway

3D PDF

by ThalesNorway on ‎11-13-2014 12:33 AM

3D PDF export should be a built in feature of Inventor. There are well of a 1000 posts on this topic, so I feel that Autodesk should take some action. Other vendors (e.g. PTC) offer this function. Autodesk users will have to rely on third party solutions. These solutions are volnurable as they may be incompatible when the tools are upgraded.

48 Kudos
kpapjim

multiple sheet

by kpapjim on ‎11-01-2014 12:37 PM

Many times when a project consists of several sheets and need to refer from one to the other would be easier if there is an option for simultaneous viewing all sheets.multi sheet.jpg

37 Kudos
denis.bourasseau

Merge Model and Vault browser panes

by Contributor denis.bourasseau ‎11-03-2014 07:28 AM - edited ‎11-03-2014 07:31 AM

Instead of having to switch between "Vault "and "Model", just add Vault status icons in the main browser pane.

Merge Model and Vault browser panes.jpg

7 Kudos
tmillward

Ability to change IPN view associativity

by tmillward ‎11-17-2014 05:13 AM - edited ‎11-17-2014 05:20 AM

At the moment you only have the option to make an IPN view associative when you initially create it (see below).

It woud be really usefull to have the option to edit this after the view has been created.

ipn view associativity.JPG

43 Kudos

Anyone who has worked in a large drawing office, on large assemblies, which have been worked on by a large variation of people with a large variation of skills, will have sat and watched the spinny circle of doom for minutes and minutes on end.  Go grab a coffee, it might be done before you get back.  

It's a daily occurence in my current office, whether it be:

Waiting 10 minutes for an Assembly to open:

Open Not Responding.png

Waiting a good few minutes for Inventor to compute an edit to a drawing view:

Edit View Not Responding.png

Waiting a couple of minutes for Inventor to calculate mass properties:

Update Not Responding.png

Or my biggest problem, waiting a lifetime for it to perform a geomtery update on an assembly:

Update Model.png

The reasons for the delays are probably avoidable, bad modelling, released and/or locked files causing a hold up, large derived parts taking a while to compute, complex calculations on specific files etc etc but the problem is it's a mystery, there's no visual feedback for what it's doing.

Tell me which ones! I honestly don't mind waiting 10 minutes to update a model, if Inventor told me which specific child parts are causing the delay.

I'd like to suggest a progress bar, similar to Vault's Get/Checkout progress bar, show me which files it's processing during these extensive periods of Not Responding downtime.  

If I can visually see which file(s) are causing the extended periods of downtime, I can then target them individually and investigate those files.

This would also increase user confidence in the application.  If they're sat waiting 20 minutes for an Assembly to open, rather than have them assume their PC is rubbish or Inventor is slow today, if they could see that actually it's a 300mb derived part being pulled over the network or it's currently stuck opening a complex IPT which they had bother with yesterday, it gives them feedback and info which is infinitely more useful than sitting looking at a not responding spinny circle of doom :smileytongue:

28 Kudos
joflaherty

Assembly Threads

by *Expert Elite* on ‎11-05-2014 07:51 AM

I haven't seen this posted here as of yet but have seen numerous posts and requests for the ability to add threads within the assembly environment since about 2008.

A co-worker ran across this issue just this morning and aside from having to do a derived part or use multi-bodies to accomplish his needs, why can't we simply have the ability to insert/create a thread feature at the assembly level?

This would support real world processes would it not? And isn't that the way most would prefer to model their parts/assemblies as?

How bout it ADesk, can we get some love on this matter? 2008 was a long time ago in software terms.

14 Kudos
ben.gee

Match properties

by Active Contributor ben.gee on ‎11-12-2014 06:13 AM

I've been working on a sketch where I've had to change the colour/linetype of a selection of lines and curves.

So far I've had to click on the line (or ctrl + click on line to select multiple lines), then RMB > properties to accomplish this.

In AutoCAD I would do this by selecting the Match Properties command and simply select the items I wish. Thus saving my  few clicks and several seconds.

Is there such a thing in Inventor? If not, why not?

5 Kudos
Generic

More NPT Hole Options

by Distinguished Contributor Generic on ‎11-18-2014 06:08 AM

We often have to neck down our through hole when drilling gauge taps due to limited space, and it'd be nice if we could control the through hole's diameter and tap drill depth in one hole feature / hole note.

An example note with auto-populated fields in brackets:

[Ø.63] THRU

[Ø.891] X [.88 MAX]

[3/4 - 14 NPT]

It may be asking too much, however, as I believe the challenge would be the current availability of symbols in the hole note dialog.

NPT Suggestion

78 Kudos
marco.takx

New Feature Sweep solid

by marco.takx on ‎10-13-2014 02:32 AM

Hi Autodesk,

Now we have Autodesk Inventor HSM, it will be nice to have a new feature that sweeps a solid allong a path.

When you use a profile milling it is hard to design the result.

But when you simulate it within Inventor HSM, you see how the results look.

So please make a feature to design easier results like this.

Milling_1.jpg

Milling_2.jpg

13 Kudos
cbenner

Tube & Pipe Constraints & Dimensions

by *Expert Elite* on ‎11-11-2014 11:40 AM

For those of us who do not use  Auto Routes in tube & pipe, it would be very handy if the dimensions and constraints I plce in a route do not change unless I change them.  Currently these constraints and dimensions can randomly change whenever I add, delete or change a fitting in the route.  Once I have placed a dimension or constraint, I should at the very least be given the option of locking them so they cannot change if something else in the route changes.

Example:  I want the corner of a route to be an exact distance from the edge of my machine frame, so I place a dimension from the endpoint of the route to a workplane created in the route using "Include Geometry".  I then add a tee to that leg of the route, and the dimension I placed (as well as any constraints) are replaced by dimensions that Inventor places on the route.  Inventor does not know my design intent better than I do, so I should have complete control over these dimensions and constraints... if they blow up on me, let it be on my head.

74 Kudos
karthur1

Add a "Negative" radius for clearance

by *Expert Elite* on ‎10-14-2014 08:10 AM

When providing for clearance in corners, we are sometimes required to provide for a "negative" corner radius.  Presently, Inventor does not allow for this and we have to use other means to place this feature (new sketch and extrude, ifeatures...etc).  I would like to be able to either enter a negative value for the fillet, or have an option in the fillet command to run the fillet the opposite direction.  In the image below, I show the "negative" fillet.

Thanks,

Kirk

2014-10-10_1440.png

98 Kudos

I added this post to the Inventor forum hoping I was missing something. It appears I'm not.

There needs to be better controls to place aligned dimensions. I mentioned in the original post that a UCS change (like in Autocad) could do it but I now feel that Inventor should just have a RMB option to select an edge to align the dimension to.

ALIGNED_PARALLEL_DIM.png

48 Kudos
wh

Improvements for breakouts in sections needed.

by Distinguished Mentor on ‎10-23-2014 11:40 PM

This is a long-time issue, but IMO it’s urgently needed.
See sample screenshots.

With Inventor 2015 I can’t get acceptable results, major rework is needed with ACADM. 
Walter

34 Kudos
HJWO

Hole dept to point of the drilled hole

by Contributor HJWO on ‎10-29-2014 08:30 AM

maybe it is not according to drawing standards, but in the workshop this dimension is needed, and now should be calculated.

thats why it would be nice to have the option to set the hole dept  for top till lowest point.

holedept.png

thanks

1 Kudo
mill1806

Quantity notes for fillets and chamfers

by Contributor mill1806 on ‎11-21-2014 03:35 PM

It would be useful to have IV automatically calculate quantities for fillets and chamfers like it does for holes.  Where I work it is not generally accepted to use typical notes for quantities.  If IV can calculate hole quantities for holes as winthin a single feature, pattern, or as a view why can't it do it for fillets and chamfers?

Thanks

Hello, this idea exists and is being tracked within the Master Idea here: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideastation/smarter-chamfer-notes-add-quantity/idi-p/3823710 Please be sure to cast your kudo to the Master post as to not split the votes. Thanks! -Dan
2 Kudos

Currently, to replace a model, one has to use the command in the ribbon.

To have a button in the "Edit view" dialog box would be much easier to access and straight forward, as shown in the image attached.

From the point of view of programming design, this is very simple to do.

45 Kudos
scottmoyse

Dimension to Midpoint of Sketch Geometry

by *Expert Elite* on ‎10-17-2014 03:21 PM

Currently we have to place a sketch point on the midpoint of lines & arcs so we can dimension to them. Which it's productive and kind of adds an additional point of potential failure.

Please add the ability to dimension directly to the midpoint of 2D Sketch elements. SolidWorks makes you select midpoint from the context menu, if you could go one step further and just provide the  ability to select it onscreen that would be great. Or via Select Other, which is tolerable with a short delay time set in Application Options.

SWx Midpoint Sketch Dim.jpg

Submit Your Ideas

Share and shape product ideas.

New Idea
You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
IdeaStation Guidelines
Review guidelines and best practices
before posting a new idea.

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube