Inventor IdeaStation
Share your ideas about how to improve Inventor with the Development Team.
New Idea
17 Kudos

presently we can export our BOM from an inventor assembly.

we can get a fully structured BOM, all levels,

we can get all parts with total qty of all items,

it would be good to get a flattened BOM with every single item whether an assembly, a weldment or a part, and have the total qty of each required to build the top level assembly.

this would avoid the need to manually handle the spreadsheet after we export it from inventor.

it would also be nice to have this new consolidated flattened BOM to be categorised...

eg, group all the assemblys at the top of the list, then group all weldments next, then group all sheet metal parts next, then all non sheet metal parts next.

then as part of this part grouping, if the parts reside in an inventor library, they can also be grouped if desired.

the BOM export window would have a couple of checkboxes that users could select to have any combination of the above if they desire.

this would be a benefit for some of us and a big time saver i believe.

Great idea.

As an FYI - a similar parts list grouping/sorting idea exists as: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-IdeaStation/Parts-List-sorting/idi-p/3687504

14 Kudos

At present, to import any MDT (Mechanical Desktop) data into Inventor you need MDT installed alongside Inventor.  The last version of MDT was 2009 and thus is now no longer officially supported.  With new operating systems being released (e.g. the recent Windows 8) we need a way for a long term solution to importing/using old MDT data as there will come a time that MDT can either no longer be authorized/registered or even usable on a new OS.  Why cannot MDT import code be incorporated into Inventor, much like all the recent SolidWorks/Catia/Pro-Eng import routines?

We all knew about MDT's termination long before the 2009 release (and, in my company's case, we had moved over to Inventor well before then) - but it doesn't ignore the fact that products are still being built using drawings created by MDT and thus we still have MDT data on the system (hell, we still build some products from hand-drawn drawings, designed prior to CAD).

I am sure we are not unique in our need to preserve our long-term accessability to our legacy data and hope Autodesk can allow long-term customers a way to open MDT data from Inventor.

13 Kudos
Dan.M

start up time

by *Expert Elite* on ‎11-02-2012 10:23 AM

Still the start up time and opening a template takes too long. 

I dont know what the the hell it is loading and loading and more loading.....

So how fast do i want it to be? Fast like when you open a template the second time. 

Thanks

Dan

11 Kudos
FProcp

Creation trace-ability

by Distinguished Contributor FProcp on ‎11-06-2012 08:11 PM

It is sometimes very difficult to work out how a model has been created when working on other people’s 3D models.

We need more aids to teach us how someone else has created the 3D model you are now working on.

One aid could be when a sketch has been projected from another sketch, you could hover over and it would indicate the original point/line/sketch/part it was projected from?

How are things sketches created, where do they come from, what references do they use, how were they drawn?

Maybe all dimensions within the actual sketch could be one colour but dimensions to other geometry such as to the origin or to other sketches/featues/workplanes could be in different colours?

Maybe there should be a way to select something in the sketch that will highlight in the feature tree (or somewhere) the workplane it was created on or the surface it was created on, etc?

10 Kudos
Dan.M

Constraints in the part

by *Expert Elite* on ‎11-02-2012 10:08 AM

Hello,

I would like to be able to constrain(mate,angle,flush...) solids in the part environment.

Now i can only move and rotate.

Thanks

Dan 

9 Kudos
MDS-MQ

Assembly Features

by Contributor MDS-MQ on ‎11-14-2012 09:36 AM

It would be great if assembly features where usable on large assemblies.

Currently and they always have been a total memory hog and make using them on assemblies of any real size not practical.

Cheers

Mike

7 Kudos
sfd-px20

Alias Meets Inventor

by sfd-px20 on ‎11-21-2012 07:40 AM

What i expect in the future is better implementation Alias with Inventor.

To use the benefit of strong assotiative feature-based modeling methology and the benefits of explicit surface class A modeling techniques.

I would love to increase productivity by having the chance to use both within the same surface.

Reg,

JWI

5 Kudos

When working with Inventor, I find myself browsing the the project folder for almost every command, Place Part, Save, Open, Export, Create New Part, Add Assembly.  These commands only need 1 previous folder setting. 

What the real complaint here is, we work in a 'single project' vault environment.  Our real project folders are all organized under a single inventor project (otherwise I'd have some 300 inventor projects at any given time).  In this mode, we are jumping between projects a few times each day, and if we are not VERY careful, Inventor will let us place our new file in the other project folder (the wrong folder).  Many files get check into vault that way, and if it were not for Vault's very nice search engine, these files would get lost.

So now for each command I have to check the folder I'm in, and browse to the folder I want to be in, because it has MANY previous folder settings (one for each unique file browsing capable command) instead of 1, the last folder I was in.

Please make all folder/file search commands reference 1 common previous folder value (especially in the workspace locations).

jvj

5 Kudos
altar

2D Pattern Enhancement

by Contributor altar on ‎02-07-2013 08:05 AM

Ability to give coincident constraint to end point of objects in 2D rectangular pattern in sketch environment to make them close profiles in order to extrude them. One can need it due to prevent oversized files when exporting to stl file format in order to make fluid analysis. Below, there is an example of my request;

Pattern Issue

Hello altar, Currently the only way I know around this is to create one segment as a feature rather than within the sketch and pattern the resulting feature. Thanks, Bryan Sr. Software QA Engineer DLS – Mechanical Design
4 Kudos

When checking out an assembly we need a dialog box to appear that allows for detailed selection of what is to be checked out.  When working with very large assemblies, it is critical to be able to determine what is checked out and what is not.

And yes I am aware of the workaround available under the vault/options dialog box...

2 Kudos

Hello,

I would like to be able to lock with a password invnetor drawings/parts/assembly.

Sometimes in a company certain people should be able to open ceretain CAD files.

Thank you

Dan

1 Kudo
jamjumpin

Make rendering easier

by Valued Contributor jamjumpin on ‎03-28-2013 02:25 PM

In AutoCAD there is a way to print from 'window' where you draw a box and it renders that area.

I'd like to be able to do this in Inventor to select the area that I want rendering. Setting up cameras exactly how you want them can take way too long.

1 Kudo
jimmy760

Iron Man UI

by Active Contributor jimmy760 on ‎03-23-2013 05:31 PM

It would be cool to have the UI seen in the Iron Man movies: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGaLQrIBTiw

Seriously how far away are we from this type holographic UI? Or is this up there with time travel?

The closest thing I've found is: http://zspace.com/

Does Autodesk produce any hardware toys / tools like ZSpace?

Submit Your Ideas

Share and shape product ideas.

New Idea
You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
IdeaStation Guidelines
Review guidelines and best practices
before posting a new idea.

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube