Inventor IdeaStation
Share your ideas about how to improve Inventor with the Development Team.
New Idea
59 Kudos

When drive or move the assembly components, the length of Flexible Hose will change.

There should have a setting to fix the flexible hose's length, because after the design, you don’t want to change the hose length when moving the components. 

Accepted idea [US26329]. Thanks!

22 Kudos
cbenner

Tube & Pipe Cross Assembly Editing

by *Expert Elite* on ‎10-28-2014 11:47 AM

Scenario:

Quite often we design systems that are skid mounted, each skid with it's own piping system.  The skids are then set next to each other and the piping connected.  The way Tube & Pipe works right now, if I design the piping on each skid, and then bring them together, and try to edit the piping on any one individual system... I get this lovely message:

tp1.PNG

I need to explicitly open each individual skid, modify the piping dimensions, and then return to the combined assembly and hope I got it right.  I continue this trial and error until everything lines up properly.  It would help considerably if I could edit the individual piping systems in the context of this combined assembly in order to mate things up more easily. In fact it would be really great if I could route from one skid to another in the context of this full assembly.  Not only making certain that things line up, but also having them actually connected to each other.  Typical inter skid connections.....

skids.PNG

Accepted idea [US26614]. Thanks!

14 Kudos
salariua

Tube and Pipe: multiple selection change size

by Distinguished Mentor ‎10-23-2014 02:36 AM - edited ‎10-23-2014 02:37 AM

Haven't found this on the idea station. I am trying to get something similar as "replace should replace all selected components" but for tube and pipe elements.

When you do a run sometimes you need to change size of multiple fittings and pipes.

I don't mean change the style.

On a 2" run I can have a drain or sample valve and I need to change just those end fittings and pipes without affecting the whole run or without doing another separate run.

If you select multiple elments (content center items) there is no change size option. I have "CS" as change size shortcut but it only changes the first element selected.

10.jpg

11.jpg

Accepted idea [US26166]. Thanks!

6 Kudos
RolfEven

Open Drawing Ctrl+D | Customize Keyboard shortcut

by RolfEven ‎11-10-2014 11:07 AM - edited ‎11-10-2014 11:09 AM

Add Open Drawing to Customize Keyboard shortcut.

Open Drawing Cuztomize Keyboard shortcut.png

/Rolf Even

Accepted idea [US26619]. Thanks!

17 Kudos
Bazash

Capture Bitmap preview from BOM

by Bazash on ‎10-01-2014 01:39 AM

Capture bitmap from bom.JPG

Accepted idea [US26603]. Thanks!

16 Kudos

I have a sheet in a .idw that i want to copy into the same .idw.  That way I don't have to readd all the notes and symbols i have placed on the sheet. 

Accepted idea [US4537]. Thanks!

111 Kudos

It would be awesome if the centerlines were automatically breaked when they cross dimensions. that is possible to do on autocad.

original.jpg

Accepted idea [US26333]. Thanks!
207 Kudos

Ever had a drawing where you wanted an aligned to edge orientation for a break view? I have!!!

If yes, please vote to add this simple yet highly effective functionality I feel has always been missing.

Example. Bent piece of pipe that I wanted to put on a B size drawing and in full scale. Can't use the Break tool on the bent section and keep the break aligned how I want it due to limitation of only Vertical or Horizontal Break orientation....

BREAK1.jpg

Result of horizontal break. Not nice to look at in this case is it?

BREAK3.jpg

My proposed fancy new "Aligned" orientation button....

BREAK2ALIGNED.jpg

You would use Edge selection to select the edge you want your Break to be perpendicular to (or possibly ability to edit the Break properties at the sketch level?).....

BREAKper2.jpg

The end result would be a MUCH nicer and desired result....

break4.jpg

Accepted idea [US19754]. Thanks!

This idea is similar to http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/ideas/v2/ideapage/blog-id/v1232/article-id/2141

140 Kudos
bendesign04

Flip command on mate axis

by bendesign04 on ‎12-13-2013 07:01 PM

When mating an axis from one part to another it often mates the wrong way you than have to cancel out rotate the part the remate it. This very time consuming and requires a lot of clicking. All you need is a flip option. 7.JPG

Accepted idea [US23198]. Thanks!
58 Kudos
khosking

Center Mark - Multi-select align with edge

by Active Contributor khosking on ‎05-06-2014 07:41 PM

The below picutre shows a problem, where in an Inventor drawing when mutliple center marks are selected, the "Align to Edge" command only modifys one center mark and not all of the selected.

A user who has many center marks in their drawing must manually align them one by one, which would be time consuming, so it would be great if multiple center marks could be selected and aligned with one click.

Accepted idea as [US22731] Thanks
140 Kudos

I know I struggle with the two shades of yellow when trying to contrain or edit contraints in assemblies.  Can we make them something that is a little more distinguishable?  Like read and green or yellow and orange or what ever that allows these two colors to not be in the same color family.

colors.JPG 

for "Wonderland".  I like this scheme except for this.

colors.JPG

Accepted idea [US21077]. Thanks!
31 Kudos

If you choose a horizontal constraint and you realize that you need a vertical constraint, then you need to select the vertical constraint.
Despite the fact that we are now in 2015 get a preview to see what is horizontal or vertical.
Add a CTRL action, so that horizontal changes to vertical as soon as you press the CTRL.
Ditto for vertical to horizontal constraint.

Accepted idea [US26374]. Thanks!

180 Kudos
schnautza

Transparent part option in drawing

by Valued Contributor schnautza on ‎05-22-2013 11:45 AM

I'm working on an assembly that has some polycarbonate sheet as a cover. I'd like it if I could see what is behind the clear material in my drawing.

This is very different than wanting hidden lines - I do NOT want to see every hidden line of the parts behind the transparent material. I only want to see the next visible part, maybe as a lighter line, but only the visible edges.

It would be great if there was an option when you right click a part to set as transparent in the drawing - similar to toggling visibility or hidden lines.

transparenttransparent2.png

Accepted idea [US24903]. Thanks!

241 Kudos
stuarts

3D PDF

by Active Contributor stuarts ‎12-18-2012 01:52 AM - edited ‎12-18-2012 01:54 AM

The ability to create 3D PDF's from inventor. I don't want to bu publisher just to create a 3D PDF or any other 3rd party application. A lot of customers are requesting this now, and dwf isn't the answer, most people have adobe non-cad and cad users, where as they don't have dwf viewer and cant download it.

Accepted as ideas [US2028] [US2029]. Thanks!

220 Kudos
MattH_Work

Support for Multiple Monitors

by Valued Contributor MattH_Work on ‎11-16-2012 04:44 AM

Full support for multiple monitors

Allow browser(s) to dock correctly on any edge of any screen, not just docking when inside 'parent' application

Allow browser(s) to be 'Always On Top' when used on different screen to 'parent' application

Accepted ideas [US16721] [US16734]. Thanks!
103 Kudos
crmayo

MM = mm / IN = in (Dimensions)

by Contributor crmayo on ‎09-09-2013 10:41 AM

Most of the time when I'm drawing, my cap lock are on.  When I type in units in uppercase Inventor doesn't recognize that MM is mm, or IN is in.  I want Inventor to apply the units - proper case or not.

MM IN.PNG

Accepted idea [US21122]. Thanks!
109 Kudos
Carl_mgfx

Please add "Replace Selected"

by Valued Contributor Carl_mgfx on ‎08-14-2013 07:15 AM

I've searched the Idea Station but didn't find something quite like this with replace (although I did find a lot of requests to change the replace functionality)

When replacing a component, the only options available are "Replace" and "Replace all".  This can be troublesome when trying to replace only a few items and not all of them e.g. 4 out of 8 dowels.

So to illustrate here is an example:

If you want to replace 4 out of 8 dowels you will have to repeat the "Replace" operation 4 times, as "Replace all" would obviously replace all 8.

If there was the option of “Replace selected”, you could have selected the 4 dowels and replaced them in 1 step.

This is an efficiency enhancement that would make many designers lives much easier! 

Accepted idea [US21209]. Thanks!
190 Kudos
michael.marx

ESC key stop operation

by Valued Contributor michael.marx on ‎12-12-2012 12:54 AM

the ability to stop all operations/calculations with ESC key instead of killing the inventor.exe process! 

Accepted idea [US20883]. Thanks!
27 Kudos

I miss the possibility to remove previews from the new home-screen in Inventor 2015 manually via context-menu.

I often have to create temporary files for evaluating new designs.

After deleting such files on the start-screen broken-link icons are displayed.

Inventor2015 - Vorschlag.jpg

132 Kudos
Curtis_Waguespack

Level of Detail for Parts

by *Expert Elite* on ‎04-03-2013 01:36 PM

The ability to suppress features and create Level Of Detail representations in part files would be very useful.

Example 1:

I have a bent tube that goes into an assembly in the formed state. However, I would like to detail this part to show both the pre-formed and formed states of the part on my drawing. Currently I can not do this without creating additional files (derived parts or iParts).  Ideally I would be able to suppress the Bend Part feature as a LOD to place the pre-formed part view.

Example 2:

I have a part file with a lot of detailed edges and surfaces and I use this part over and over in my assemblies, I would like to be able to suppress features as a LOD an use the simplified version in the assembly, but still have the detailed version for my part drawing. Again we'd like to be able to do this, without having additional files to track.

Accepted idea [US19751]. Thanks!
Submit Your Ideas

Share and shape product ideas.

New Idea
You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube