Inventor IdeaStation
Share your ideas about how to improve Inventor with the Development Team.
New Idea
25 Kudos
tahdesign

Reorder Balloons by value.

by Mentor on ‎12-17-2014 02:22 PM

Back in the MDT days you could rearrange Balloons by their value.

Much like you can with the parts list.

Unless I am missing something the balloons are stuck in the order that you pick them.

IV-IDEA.jpg

22 Kudos

Show used Plane or Geometry in Tree Browser for Sketches

Its much easier to redefine when a sketch loses its base plane.

Show used Plane_Geometry in Tree Browser for Sketches.jpg

25 Kudos
Delmeco

Amplify hole command using 1 feature

by Delmeco on ‎12-17-2014 02:44 AM

Sometimes it's necessary to create a hole with a counterbore ore spotface at both sides.

Now I need to use hole command twice.

It would be great if it its possible to tick a button like below. 

Holes.png

19 Kudos
DWhiteley

Show library parts in browser

by Distinguished Contributor DWhiteley on ‎12-18-2014 07:32 AM

Capture.JPG

Show library parts as diffrent icons in the browser. This stops the unnecessary editing of parts only be told that it is a library part!

Dave

Envisage UK Ltd

22 Kudos
Delmeco

Creating an inverse fillet

by Delmeco on ‎12-17-2014 03:23 AM

Why ain't it possible to create a inverse fillet. Now we have to draw a sketch an make an extrusion.

It would be so easy if a button was add to the fillet command with the "inverse fillet" option.

Inverse Fillet.png

15 Kudos
HenkdeB

Sketch Driven Pattern

by HenkdeB on ‎12-18-2014 11:38 PM

Make it possible to Create a Sketch with points and use this Sketch/points to create a Pattern of Features/Solids.

And make it possible to reuse this Pattern on assembly level for Pattern and Content Center parts Placement.

SketchDrivenPattern_01.jpg

18 Kudos

For the sanity of CNC Cut File producers, a fundamental change in the way the text is exported throughout Inventor is needed... or I suspect a lower overhead approach would be a ’convert text to sketch geometry’ tool would suffice. It would only need to support single line fonts.

That would then deal with the arc aligned text problem, which you can't currently export at all via the IDW > AutoCAD DWG method. Multi-outline font (Normal fonts) requirements can currently be achieved using the emboss tool, which is only appropriate for decorative font machining.

This could then be automated as part of the Flat Pattern Export idea @BLHDrafting has submitted here

Currently HSMWorks for SolidWorks can engrave single line text... the workflow to achieve a similar result in Inventor is far too convoluted. Having a decent solution for this in Inventor is long overdue and now blatantly obvious with the advent of Inventor HSM.

35 Kudos

I can hide the extension lines for linear dimensions, why not for diameter dimensions?

DiameterDimension.jpg

16 Kudos
hans_hydrac

Reorder Symbols in Quick access toolbox

by hans_hydrac on ‎12-15-2014 10:05 AM

Make it possible to change the order of the Symbols in the quick access toolbox.

Bildschirmfoto 2014-12-15 um 19.03.41.png

16 Kudos

Create new part -> Create new Sketch: Part is rotated to xyz position.

But we have changed the original orientation in the View Cube Settings.

Change orientation acc View Cube settings on first New 2D Sketch?

Orientation acc View Cube settings on first New 2D Sketch.jpg

12 Kudos
Delmeco

Add text to dimensionlines

by Delmeco on ‎12-17-2014 03:09 AM

Regularly we need to add some text to dimensionlines.

Of course we wants everybody uses the same text (in the same project).

To make this easy possible it would be nice if the edit dimension text box will be expand by options below.

To jump with cursor (2) to home or end of line add buttons like 1.

To add your own standard custom text, add buttons like 3.

Even this options can be used in the standard text box!

ID-Station Edit Dimension 01.png

10 Kudos
HenkdeB

Create a Virtual Component (IAM) in a assembly

by HenkdeB on ‎12-18-2014 02:49 AM

Create a Virtual Component (IAM) in a assembly. This Virtual sub-assembly is not saved in a seperate file and exists only in this assembly.

This opens the possibility to reuse combinations of parts through your assembly without saving all the subassemblies and creating files which needs numbers/filenames etc.

VirtualComponent in iam with parts_2.jpg

Create the Virtual Component by Demote Virtual Component Command.

VirtualComponent in iam with parts_1.jpg

4 Kudos

Why do you have to mark seperate objects with Export Object?

This causes extra clicks and generates error (when the Eport Object is turned off)

Mark all Solids, Surfaces, sketches, workfeatures, etc automatically Export Object.

Then with Derived/Linked you can use all features.

And in a Vault environment you do not need to check out the derived part.

ExportObject.jpg

2 Kudos
karthur1

Copy\Paste for Assembly Browser Folders

by *Expert Elite* on ‎12-23-2014 09:19 PM

I would like to have the ability to copy/paste a model browser folder.  Many times I have a group of virtual components, that I have neatly placed in a folder.  I would like to be able to copy/paste this folder into another assembly.

Copy_paste_folders.png

14 Kudos
HenkdeB

MiniToolbar extend options saves mouse clicks.

by HenkdeB on ‎12-15-2014 06:22 AM

MiniToolbar extend options saves mouse clicks.

In stead of a click to open lookup table with options (directions, output, boolean action) always show the available options.

MiniToolbar extend options.jpg

5 Kudos
JLeeSaxon

Auto Share Sketches

by Active Contributor JLeeSaxon on ‎12-20-2014 07:08 PM

My preferred worflow is to create a single sketch and share it between multiple features, rather than draw a lot of duplicate lines. This takes takes far too many clicks : click the little plus sign to unhide the sketch, right click the sketch, click "share," click the little minus sign to rehide the sketch (this step is theoretically skippable but doing so will make your model tree a mess), create the second feature, right click the now-visible shared sketch, click Visibility to make it invisible again. I feel like I spend half my day repeating those steps.

If you try to extrude/revolve/whatever without a shared (or new) sketch, you get a warning that "a 2d sketch is required to extrude/etc" with a prompt to create a sketch. I think that window should also have buttons to (2) "select a sketch to share" (this would temporarily "click" all those little plus signs and then once you make your selection "click" all the little minus signs) and, far more importantly, (1) "auto-share the most recently used sketch."

(A note about Visibility. Extruding/etc from a new sketch makes it unavailable for re-use [until you share it] and as such automatically turns its Visibility off. Extruding/etc from a shared sketch does not make it unavailable for re-use and as such does not turn its Visibility off. This makes sense, but as I already mentioned results in wasted mouse movement and clicks. Were the "auto-share" feature added, this could change: extruding/etc from a shared sketch could turn its Visibility off because re-using it again would be a simple matter of clicking the "auto-share the most recently used sketch" button again (though it this case the button's functionality would actually be "make most recently used sketch Visible"). )

34 Kudos

A more flexible Extrusion command is needed.

We should be able to extrude the slot starting from the lower face with a distance of 0,2 inch

Extrude.png

Benefits:
- one central entry point to modify the Geometry
- no additional Workplane needed

9 Kudos

Add a pressure force to a model with fillets and rounds will be a time consuming and foul touchy action.

A button like used in the chamfer (edge chain buttons) or fillet (loop mode) command would make this job easier to select all faces.Pressure.png

21 Kudos
AndreasAjax1921

Frame Generator - Notch

by AndreasAjax1921 on ‎12-09-2014 01:09 AM

When notching a frame member there should be an option to create a distance between the two members. This is only possible when doing a trim or miter. To me this is kind of strange since the need for distance is far more important when using notch. There is no way that i would cut something to the exact shape of another frame member and thinking it will fit when welding it.

We normally use a step-file for cutting the frame member in a laser cutting machine so the measurements is pretty exact.

7 Kudos
admaiora

Revision Cloud Default Available

by *Expert Elite* on ‎12-18-2014 07:33 AM

It would be great the presence of the revision cloud tool as a default in the drawing file, without load it as SDK drawing tool.

rev.jpg

Submit Your Ideas

Share and shape product ideas.

New Idea
You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube