Inventor IdeaStation
Share your ideas about how to improve Inventor with the Development Team.
New Idea
2 Kudos
MichaelFarrow

Scale Part or Body, without deriving.

by MichaelFarrow on ‎09-15-2014 03:25 AM

Scaling of geometry is simple stuff.  Basic mathematical calculations.

Yet for some reason, we can't do it easily to parts or bodies.  As it stands, you can scale imported geometry during import (sometimes useful), and you can scale geometry that you've derived into another part (useful, but a workaround at best).

To my knowledge, there is no easy way of simply scaling the geometry within the part, at a feature on the feature tree.  Why not?  It's clearly technically possible.  So why force the user to duplicate (derive) a part every time they want to adjust the scale?

Let's say I'm doing some rough concepting work, and I've modelled a control box using several features.  When I put it into the assembly, I find that the control box is a little bit too big for the buttons I need to put onto it.  As it's only rough, I'd like to simply scale it down to say 80% of its size.  How do I do this?  Well I've got two choices.  Edit each of the features in the box to adjust its size, or create a new derive part and adjust the scale on creation.  The first option is a lot of effort for a simple change, and the second results in an additional, useless part model clogging up the vault.  Why?!  It should be so simple to provide a scale feature in part?

While we're about it, this feature could be effectively applied to multi-body parts, by allowing you to scale descreet bodies independently of each other.

Seems like a simple winner to me!

38 Kudos
melmo

Insert Item Numbers into Text Boxes In Drawings

by Contributor melmo on ‎09-04-2014 07:29 AM

I would like to see the ability to insert a part's item number (i.e. from the BOM/Parts List) into text boxes in drawings, in the same way that you can add a part's model or user parameters. We are often asked to add item numbers into text instructions; currently, we do that manually, which is tedious and a source for confusion when an item's number changes. It would therefore be nice to insert the value from the text box as shown below:

BOM Item Number Into Text Box.jpg

The closest I have come to something along these lines is to use iLogic to create the part number as a user parameter, which I can then insert in the manner described; however, that is not as clean as inserting an item number from the parts list.

28 Kudos
blandb

Automated Centerlines

by blandb on ‎09-02-2014 12:19 PM

When using the Automated Centerlines in a drawing, have the centerlines update according to the pattern qty.

For instance, I have this example pattern below:

AUTOMATED C.L. PATTERN  1.JPG

Then, when I go to the part and change the pattern qty I get:

AUTOMATED C.L. PATTERN  2.JPG

Now, any bolt circle, or other associated dims must be re-applied. Seems like it should be simple enough to just keep the center marks being used and auto delete the rest.

24 Kudos
CAD-One

Pipe Section

by Mentor on ‎09-02-2014 06:00 AM

IDW to allow round part section per standard representation.

Capture.PNG

17 Kudos

Not a new idea, - it's been raised in the simulation area etc. before, - however it's an issue which regularly comes to the fore and needs to be sorted.

It was something I once suggested at a Solidworks venue several years ago.

In the example to the left the material is a brushed finish and is clearly wrong.

Also the same effect but worse is seen when orthotropic materials (materials with dissimilar direction properties) such as grain in wood.

Basically inventor requires a grained material which when cut displays the correct structure on it's cut faces.

WOOD GRAIN.png

7 Kudos
michael.marx

one for all application configuration

by Valued Contributor michael.marx on ‎09-09-2014 04:38 AM

why we have several possibilities to input configurations for our application?
example ilogic configuration, content library in projects browser(migration create new and so on), material library migration/creation, style migration/creation/purge , UI customizing.
Those are things should be summerized to one dialog/input. Easily manage/import/export all customization/configuration

33 Kudos
dts

Turn off LINK by default to insert images

by dts on ‎08-25-2014 06:31 AM

Dear Dev,

When you insert an image in Inventor (ie to use as a decal) the LINK option is turned on by default. This looks nice, but can create a lot of issues lateron (especially when using Vault). So I think it would be better to turn it of by default, because if you forget you'll get in trouble lateron and this is very annoying...

LINK images.JPG

50 Kudos

When viewing a Part or Assembly in the Views Section model it would be quite valuable if the section 'view' was more than just a view but was a proper section that could be measured and interrogated for information, - currently the View Section is just a View and cannot be measured.

section.jpg

42 Kudos
BrandonBG

non-modal Parameters window

by Contributor BrandonBG on ‎08-21-2014 05:27 AM

I'd like the option to force the Parameters window to be non-modal (a/k/a stays open while I'm working on the model or drawing).

I'd be able to pick parameters, or, at the very least, see my user parameters while I'm adding dimensions. I know I can pull open the drop down list of named parameters when I enter a dimension, but I'd go a lot faster by pointing and clicking where I can see both the named parameter and its value.

Also, the goofy speckled blue equation background is unnecessary.

BrandonBG

Inventor 2015

9 Kudos
dmiller

Reference parts shaded option in drawing views

by Contributor dmiller on ‎09-05-2014 05:25 PM

In Inventor 2015 Reference parts in all shaded views (orthogonal and isometric) show as wireframe (with hidden lines removed) when Drawing View Model State tab Reference Data Line Style is set to ’Parts’, but they do not shade.  We should have another option either in this control group or elsewhere on that tab that allows Reference Parts to show as shaded just like ’Normal’ parts, regardless of the type of view it is.  If the view allows shading, Reference Parts should have the option to show as shaded in those views.

Similar idea posted here but not fully what I would like/need: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideastation/reference-part-bom-viewed-in-full-colour/idc-p/52...

tmoney2007 stated there:

You can set part to "Phantom" and they will show up in full color, but not on the BOM. The only catch is that if it is an assembly, all the children have to be Phantom as well or THEY will show up on the BOM.

I replied:

This is why we derive the assembly first to an IPT and set the resulting IPT to Phantom.  If reference parts could be displayed as shaded then we would use 'Reference' much more often and avoid the extra derivation step with the extra file to manage.

31 Kudos
Cadmanto

Different Materials for Each Solid Bodies

by *Expert Elite* on ‎08-22-2014 12:31 PM

Maybe this has already been proposed as an idea, but I did not find it.  I know in Solidworks, you can assign a different material to each solid body.

It is time this became a reality with in Inventor.

For accurate multi-body parts that reqiure correct weight calculations, this is a must.

25 Kudos
michaelsass94

Dimensioning from Face-of-Flange

by michaelsass94 on ‎08-25-2014 08:10 AM

Currently in the Tube and Pipe Environment, locating dimensions go from the connection point at the end of the pipe (and not face-of-flange) to the connection point of the fitting or piece of equipment that is being located.  See below:

dimension_from_end_of_pipe.PNG

This is impractical in many situations, specifically when valves and equipment are to be dimensioned from the face of the flange.  What I suggest is an option to dimension as below:

dimension_from_face_of_flange.png

This way, you won't need to determine the distance from the face of the flange, then subtract the face-to-face thickness of said flange to get your dimension.

11 Kudos

All,

When I work in Inventor I often set up a good list of parameters and even create template files with parameters pre-built into them.  Then I use them all over the place to create different features, or build little equations to create features.  Currently, I have to type out the entire name in the dialog box (say for the extrusion length) or click on the arrow to list the parameters.  I would like to see an option to have Inventor Auto Complete the parameter name for me (possibly using the Space Bar to jump out of Auto Complete), similar to what can be done with the AutoCAD Command Line.  Maybe a silly idea, but could save some time searching for named parameters.  Let me know what you think and have a most blessed day!

Peace,

Pete

12 Kudos
miechh

Measure command in content center part dialog

by Distinguished Contributor miechh on ‎09-02-2014 01:48 AM

It would be nice to be able to use the measure command when placing a content center part of which a length should be entered (see picture below). Just when using the measure command when entering a dimension in a sketch. Now I have to measure a distance before starting the content center command. I'm also getting older, so often I forget to do that, in that case I have to close the content center dialog, measure, and restart the content center part dialog.

Measure in Content Center Part

20 Kudos

Its great that we can use the Parts List filter to work with View Reps - however this cannot control the quantity column of the parts list.

For example, if Assembly X has 10 instances of Part A placed inside it:

- ViewRep 1 has 5 instances of Part A visible.

- ViewRep 2 has 3 instances of Part A visible.

In the drawing, when using the Parts List filter and choosing ViewRep 1 as a filter, then quantity column for Part A should reflect 5. When choosing ViewRep 2 as a filter, then the quantity column for Part A should reflect 3.

While iAssemblies will acheive the same result, it is sometimes too much work to configure to get what would be a very simple result.

9 Kudos
bendesign04

Angular Ordinate dimensions

by bendesign04 on ‎09-03-2014 09:14 PM

When producing orientation drawing for tanks etc it gets messy very quickly using conventional angular dimensions. That's why there is a need for angular ordinate dimensions currently I do this using the ordinate dimension then over riding the value then importing the parameter needed so its linked but this is time consuming. Please add

75.JPG

51 Kudos

If you select Part Priority you can select ipt's of iam's and make them visible or you can show the hidden lines.

I would like to change also the stye of the part to shaded, while the rest of the iam is not shaded.

Part_Style.jpg

3 Kudos
miechh

Put Paste (Special) command in Right Click Menu

by Distinguished Contributor miechh on ‎09-10-2014 04:51 AM

One of the things that annoys me the most is the poor functionality (or sometimes entirely missing! :smileyfrustrated:) of the paste-command in the context menu. This besides the fact that copying/pasting of Microsoft Office items (especially Excel tables!) doesn't give the fidelity and user friendliness you'd expect from two leading, giant IT brands...

For example: When copying cells/range from an Excel sheet you need to click at least 4 times and travel a great distance with your mouse to paste it in your drawing:

- Copy cells

- Switch to Inventor window

- Select tab Tools

- Select sub group Clipboard

- Select Paste Special

- Select Paste With Link

- Select OK

It would be a better solution to copy the item you wish to paste in the drawing, go to your Inventor drawing, right click to context menu, select "Paste" or Paste with link" (see image below) and place what you've copied. So: no clicking too much and no excessive travelling with your mouse.

Context Menu Paste Special

20 Kudos
dts

Open from the Vault Browser in Inventor

by dts on ‎08-25-2014 07:14 AM

Dear Dev,

It would be nice if you could open a file directly from the Vault Brower in Inventor. This is usefull when working with skeleton models. With the vault browser is't easy to find the relations, but then I need to first open a part to find the skeleton file. I hope this makes sense, if not leave a message :-) A picture below explains it maybe a bit better:

Open in Vault Browser.png

10 Kudos
Cadmanto

Horizontal versus Vertical Contraint

by *Expert Elite* on ‎09-02-2014 07:32 AM

CONTRAINT.JPG

I can't tell you how many times I have fallen victim to this issue. You are square to the view (as indicated by the cube) and one would think that if you wanted the peak points in line you would hit the horizontal contraint.  No, because this view is not normal for the default sketch, meaning the sketch rotates (see my other idea about non rotating sketches 180°) this view does not become the norm.  Thus, because of this factor, the vertical contraint is needed as apposed to the horizontal.  I found this out, because when I selected the horizontal, it made my sketch really funky.  Not sure what the solution would look like for this, but something needs to be done to make the difference between the two more clairvoyant.

Submit Your Ideas

Share and shape product ideas.

New Idea
You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
IdeaStation Guidelines
Review guidelines and best practices
before posting a new idea.

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube