Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I need to be able to copy a drawing sheet into the same drawing

I need to be able to copy a drawing sheet into the same drawing

I have a sheet in a .idw that i want to copy into the same .idw.  That way I don't have to readd all the notes and symbols i have placed on the sheet. 

38 Comments
dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Accepted

Accepted idea [438]. Thanks!

laptop_geek
Advocate

How was this accepted 4 minutes after it was posted with no votes and ideas that have 30-50 votes have not gone anywhere?

karthur1
Mentor

The copy sheet function is already in Inventor. Was new in version 2013 (i think). Dan may not have the way to label a suggestion "Already Exists".

Anonymous
Not applicable

The ability to copy is there, but you are not able to paste back into the same .IDW.

rjay75
Collaborator

Until it is added here's a blog post of mine that has an iLogic rule to do this. (It also asks to select a file to replace part references as well, but you can just select the same part if it doesn't need to be replaced.

http://www.jaytekdev.com/ilogic-tools/blog/copy-and-replace-drawing-sheet-reference

barry.ashcroft
Contributor

just copy and paste the sheet into new drawing and change the model reference if necessary

kmeldfreyssinet
Collaborator

Hi,

It is possible to copy / past sheet from one idw to another one. But it is not possible to do this operation in a single idw. I would very much use this function.

Make it possible to copy / past sheet within single .idw file.

Cris.

stuartmp
Advocate

I completely agree, I need this all the time and have written some VBA to do it for now.

Before that I just copied the sheet to another drawing then copied it back again.

Great Idea

DRoam
Mentor
ronald_plesh
Collaborator

This is crazy.  How can this not be an option?  I have to copy the sheet into some new drawing and then copy it back?  Come on AutoDesk, do better.  We all know you can.  Its almost as bad as not have spell check.  Almost.

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Future Consideration

We are refining procedures around idea status.  Changing this to Future Consideration.

bcrowell
Enthusiast

This is absolutely necessary.  I was really hoping to find out that 2019 was the version we got this feature, and am more than a bit disheartened to see that this was posted in 2014, accepted in minutes and four years later is still not done.

The workaround steps are somewhat ridiculous: Copy Sheet. Create New File. New Drawing. Paste Sheet in New Drawing. Copy Sheet in New Drawing. Go back to original drawing. Paste.

All instead of Copy, Paste.

stuartmp
Advocate
I can write a macro for you no problem.
bcrowell
Enthusiast

I definitely need to get back to macros because we have several repetitive tasks for our drawings and parts.

david.keating
Participant

It would be good to be able to duplicate existing sheets in an Inventor drawing.  Currently, this can only be accomplished by copying sheet to a new drawing and then copying it back to the drawing of interest. should be able to duplicate sheet in right-click drop-down menu.

Tags (4)
carl.hirst
Enthusiast

I Suggested this myself a while back, but didn't receive a great deal of support for it, would be covenant but there are work arounds for this.

Got my vote though would like this little extra convenience

Anonymous
Not applicable

Inventor should provide a check in option during change of units permiting the drawing to scale automatically with dimentions. i.e, if a line of 10mm is drawn, when units are changed to inches the drawing should get a check in permisivity to change its scale to 10inches 

leowarren34
Mentor

I will always vote for convience and why waste my time and effort?

jtylerbc
Mentor

This isn't something I've needed to do that often.  But when I have needed it, the necessary workaround was really annoying.  Voted because this is a seemingly unnecessary, silly limitation.

leowarren34
Mentor

Inventor is full of workarounds because if everything worked as we wanted we wanted, I wouldnt hold my breath but hopefully Aaron/whoever makes a trip about the ideas soon.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report