Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add CTRL behavior to Horizontal and Vertical sketch constraint.

Add CTRL behavior to Horizontal and Vertical sketch constraint.

If you choose a horizontal constraint and you realize that you need a vertical constraint, then you need to select the vertical constraint.
Despite the fact that we are now in 2015 get a preview to see what is horizontal or vertical.
Add a CTRL action, so that horizontal changes to vertical as soon as you press the CTRL.
Ditto for vertical to horizontal constraint.

85 Comments
Cadmanto
Mentor

Rusty,

While I did not know what JD shared with you, this is one of those things that is not painfully obvious.  Thus the reason why you, I and Neil did not stumble upon this earlier.  Actually this almost falls under the category of tips and tricks.

Thank you for sharing this.  I will definately take a look at this myself next time. 

Still does not take away that this functionality does not need improvement.

cadull_rb
Advocate

Another option is to display the coordinate system indicator for sketches. The X axis is horizontal and the Y axis is vertical.

SketchCSI.PNG

sales
Contributor
I've just tried that, - the view cube orientation has no correlation to the
horizontal and vertical constraint, - after-all the view cube can be
rotated and set independently of the UCS.

Try rotating the sketch and see what happens.

All I'm trying to do is to make 'drawing' the sketch easier.

Thus in sketch mode:

If I draw a line and wish it to be horizontal when viewed on the screen -
I'd like to just hit the horizontal constraint and constrain it
horizontally.

The current issue I have is that sometimes, and dependent upon view
rotation, - If I draw a nearly horizontal line (not auto constrained) near
horizontal line and wish it to be horizontal when viewed on my screen
(irrespective of the UCS and view cube orientation) - to make the line
horizontal I need apply the vertical constraint !!!!!!

Try rotating the sketch and experimenting with drawing and constraining
lines.

​Mark​

The Digital Forge, Langford, Biggleswade, Beds
Tel: 01767 223864
email: sales@thedigitalforge.co.uk
website www.thedigitalforge.co.uk
Neil_Cross
Mentor

If I'm understanding the problem correctly, isn't this now resolved in Inv2015? If I can get the image attached, when selecting the H or V constraint and then mousing over a point, it gives you a tracking vector showing the orientation and confirming that it is the wrong constraint.  Whilst it doesn't make it obvious before choosing the constraint, it stops you now from using the wrong one and having to undo?

2014-09-04_12-43-51.jpg

sales
Contributor

There's a lot of talk about this issue - it could be so simple but is currently frustrating.

horiz constraint 2.jpg

What could be easier than applying a horizontal constraint to make the line horizontal ?

Tags (2)
graemev
Collaborator

Consider a map.  No matter which way you view it, North is still North.  The sketch exhibits the same behaviour.  No matter which way you view the sketch, vertical is still vertical.  If the view of the sketch was rotated 30°, should a vertical constraint now be at tha same 30°?  No, of course not.  Why should a view rotation of 90° be any different?

LT.Rusty
Advisor

Graeme, the thing is that vertical and horizontal are not consistent.  They depend on the orientation of the plane itself, how it was created.

graemev
Collaborator

L.T.Rusty,

Yes, exactly, just like a map.  I see no reason for Inventor sketches to behave differently than they do now.

DWhiteley
Advisor
dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Accepted

Accepted idea [56640]. Thanks!

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Gathering Support

Hi, this is a duplicate of another Idea that is very similar.  The key point would be to enable to configurable shortcut to toggle between horizontal/vertical constraints.  Please cast your votes to the Master Idea here http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/ideas/v2/ideapage/blog-id/v1232/article-id/5219  as it currently has more kudos. Thanks! -Dan

mike.4life
Contributor

This is a really great idea, hope we will see this in the next version of Inventor, I vote for (CTRL)

Timmy_Stalnacke
Advocate

It would be good to toggle between Horizontal and Vertical constraint by using shift.

Like Horisontal becomes vertical and reverse.

Best regards.

Tags (2)
mcgyvr
Consultant

Based on quite a few other programs I've used it seems that the space bar is commonly used as a "toggle" button.

I really like this idea but suggest it be the spacebar... (its a bigger/easier to hit button too)

Timmy_Stalnacke
Advocate

You got a point, but I’m refer to Autocad commands that often reverse by shift tab.

scottmoyse
Mentor

I'd prefer to use Tab. I think this may be a duplicate idea.

SharkDesign
Mentor

I have the same problem.

I'm sure I never had this issue with 2014. Did the view cube behaviour get changed between releases?

mcgyvr
Consultant

Well now we will need an option (in the customize section where you setup hotkeys,etc..) to select which button will be used to toggle so we are all happy. 🙂

Spacebar is much easier/quicker for me to hit..

stuartmp
Advocate

Great Idea, I use this all the time.

It has been improved in 2015 (using a dotted guide line accross the screen to you can see the direction)

but the addition of using shift to switch is a great idea.

TheUnknow
Contributor

Love the Idea, I vote for "TAB"

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report