Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Harmonize Linetypes

Harmonize Linetypes

Saving an idw as an AutoCAD dwg has a Mapping Option, which is nice, but is kind of annoying as the listed Inventor linetypes frequently use different names than the standard AutoCAD linetypes. No Hidden?  Really?

For instance, Double Dash Chain seems to be the OTB standard for section lines, which in AutoCAD would be equivalent to... umm... well, just browse through the AutoCAD linetype drop down and try to pick the closest example, I guess.

I know the familiar screed "Inventor is not AutoCAD", but given that is does have decades more experience with linetypes (including a much larger pallette and the ability create custom ones), maybe just use that system for everything, in the same manner that is being done with materials and appearances.

2 Comments
dgorsman
Consultant

Not an entirely bad idea (bear with me folks!).

But first I'd like to see the linetype definition system moved forward.  Rework the system in a similar fashion to what was done with the AutoDesk common materials - a common data store (XML being a likely candidate) with appropriate interfaces for all installed AutoDesk applications.  The interface would handle relatively common issues such as mixing imports between imperial and metric definitions (keep them in one place rather than two, translate dash/space lengths automatically, etc.).

inv.ideareview
Autodesk
Status changed to: Archived

Thanks for sharing your Idea. We use this forum to guide product development and help users in the best way we can, based on voting. We occasionally merge Ideas or archive old ones to keep the forum working properly - it ensures there is room for people to review new Ideas and that the most relevant and meaningful ones can gain votes.

We’re archiving this Idea because it's been on the board for well over a year and hasn't received many votes from the community. If you want to raise it again and try to gain more support, you're welcome to do so. We’ve found that pictures and mock-ups can help get concepts across and win more votes from other users. If you have questions or see a connection between this Idea and others, let us know.

- Inventor product team (Inv.idea review)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report