Community
cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

Funtional Center point creation on sketched slot tool creation

Funtional Center point creation on sketched slot tool creation

I'd like to be able to sketch a slot for a feature and be able to pick up the center of the slot feature to constrain / join to and dimension to without having to add sketch / centerpoint prior to sketching the slot. It should also be available in the detail drawing as well for dimensioning center to center.

8 Comments
mflayler2
Advisor

You can do this now if you use the new Joint Tools in 2014 to complement your Constraint Tools.

I agree that there shoould be a somewhat easier way with the normal constrain tools though.  Even if iFeatures supported surfaces it would make my library a lot easier to work with.

petestrycharske
Advisor

Mark, is there a way to do this without making the sketch of the slot visible?  I was able to get the joint to see the sketch point, but would rather not have to go through that step. 

mflayler2
Advisor

Unfortunately no, thats way I would like to see this enhanced a little more.

What I always did in the past was I had a Slot.ide with sizing controls that I would have an extra sketch visible on, turn it on then extrude the circle as a surface to use as an Insert Reference.

I would have thought that 2014 would have been the year to do this since they added a new slot command and all.

nmunro
Collaborator

Looking at this, it might be easy to extend the current joint selection tools to make such a joint pretty easy.

1. After selecting connection point on cylinder to be centered on slot, right-click and have "Midway between points" option (Fig 1)
  2. Selection is filtered to selections with same normals, user selects nodes on either side of center of slot, or the arc center points of the slot (Fig 2).
  3. Revolution or cylindrical joint created with axis parallel to selected points, thru point midway between. Alignment options would allow you to orient the joint so that the pin could be allowed to travel in the slot.

Fig 1

Fig 2

adrian
Participant

The sketch tool for a slot is something we have waited for some time. However when trying to constrain slots of two components together this adds extra constraints to position the parts to the exact centres of the slots.

We currently work around this by adding a hole or circle extrusion cut at the centre of a slot. So a slot say 10mm wide would have an additional hole of say 10.1mm diameter at the centre of the slot. This then allows to constrain the parts using the axis of the hole.

A lot of time could be saved if the slot extrusion had a center axis or similar.

Tags (2)
dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Accepted

Accepted idea [421]. Thanks!

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Gathering Support

Hello Adrian,

I have marked this idea Duplicate of the following Idea:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/ideas/v2/ideapage/blog-id/v1232/article-id/3323

Please be sure to cast your kudo to the Master Idea as to no split the votes.  Thanks!  -Dan

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Future Consideration

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report