Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

full use of multicore processor

full use of multicore processor

full use of multicore processor......

83 Comments
sam_m
Advisor

Add "GPU processing support as/when suitable" to this.

e.g. Use the GPU (CUDA) to assist with rendering and FEA.

Can't imagine you would want to use the GPU to aid with calculations during normal modelling for fear of nuking frame-rate, but, saying that, those with multiple GPUs or Telsa cards might be able to benefit (if multi-core is already supported).

smithar
Autodesk
Status changed to: Future Consideration

smithar
Autodesk
Status changed to: Future Consideration

QuasiMojo
Advocate

I'm all for it, but file this under "Start from scratch".  All these CAD packages are kluges from waaaay backSmiley Frustrated

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Under Review

tmoney2007
Collaborator

This is definitely one of those "start from scratch" ideas.  Using tesla cards/cuda processors is still viable.  Some people have already found success with one powerful workstation card for graphics and a second affordable card for physics in the gaming world. 

S-Barbieri
Contributor
really don't understanding the reason why with inventor my processor is always "8%" used even if i'm loading a big assebly for mintues..
Rdegreef
Explorer

By loading an big or complex assembly use the multicore processor.

Right now he's never using more than 25% but it take minutes to load.

2014-12-04_095942.jpg

dgorsman
Consultant

Duplicate of this idea: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideastation/full-use-of-multicore-processor/idi-p/3744575

I should point out that not all operations can be split out to run in parallel with each other.  At a very basic level, when an operation is dependant on data which is derived from another operation, which itself is derived from the result of several other operations, there is no way to run them at the same time.

bofeldtj
Contributor

Consider the opening of a large assembly. From what I can see in terms of file usage and CPU usage it seems to be a very linear-sequential process and file I/O speeds are very low. Consider opening the assembly on one CPU core then open subsequent parts on other CPU cores to speed the whole process up.  The same can be done for Saving.

cory.McConnell
Participant

Many parts of Inventor do use multiple processors now - FEA, Studio and many other operations. This also applies to Vault - certain operations take advantage of multiple processors. Autodesk continues to add as they go.

In the attached image, I was updating my assembly model - as you can see it was using everything.

CAUPC5046-2014-0027.png

RCHDUMA1
Contributor

We also need full processor usage while using cable and harness as well.

francis.verbeeck
Advocate

Do you realy think that they gone rebuild the software if they can fiddel a bit with small ajustments and collect the loot every year when they bring out a"new" version.

this company is not a sofwaere company it is a sofisticated monney pumping system.

You will have the same **** evrey year an they yachts wil be a few feets longer.

For the rest they dont give a tos.Smiley Happy

DRoam
Mentor
So this is obviously at the top of the wishlist for a good portion of the Inventor community....
Is it at the top of Autodesk's list? Or even on the list? It'd be nice to know...
DRoam
Mentor

Well, Autodesk? Can we hear from you?

dusan.naus.trz
Advisor

Hi all,

I want too full use of multicore processor, and also use multiple graphics cards

francis.verbeeck
Advocate

Yep

multi core and a few tesla card for the reel fun.

hey Autodesk do we have to wait for quantum computing before you moveSmiley Very Happy

francis

freierfall01
Contributor

allso full gpu use 🙂

brett.holmes
Enthusiast

Can I click this more than once!!

Nastran in-CAD also needs it badly, it will only use 2 cores at once which makes larger simulations go much longer than they should

j.vanslooten
Explorer

I've now got a z800 HP workstation with 2x xeon processors. Bit of a shame that it only uses 1 out of the 8 cores, meaning this expensive setup is pretty useless for inventor. Imagine a world where inventor is 8 times faster then nowadays, would be heaven right?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report