Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frame Generator - Member Reuse

Frame Generator - Member Reuse

When I create a frame assembly using Frame Generator, I would like to be able to reuse frame members that are identical to other previously placed frame members and likewise update my BOM to reflect the correct QTY.

9 Comments
DVDM
Advocate

In my content center library for Structural shapes, I have mapped the material description (i.e. 50x50x8 EA x 1500) to the Description field in iProperties.

Then, after I have created my assembly with Frame Generator, I go to the BOM for that assembly, in the Part Number column I map the value from Description (=<Description>) to the part number. I then drag the formula in the cell down to apply to all components (similar to Excel functionality), which applies the material description to all part numbers.

Inventor by default combines all parts with the same part number into a single item with the correct QTY.

This method is much preferred over the ability to generate a member only once and use it in multiple locations, this would complicate things far too much and limit your ability to make design changes that will make two members that were the same before, be different after the change.

MattH_Work
Collaborator

"This method is much preferred over the ability to generate a member only once and use it in multiple locations, this would complicate things far too much and limit your ability to make design changes that will make two members that were the same before, be different after the change."

I dont agree, if we only merge numbers, a modification to a member would change that member without changing the PN (only a Length change would alter the PN, NOT a hole or slot)

It is such a big deal to have FG detect when a member is modified and (in the background, / silently) swap it out for a 'new member. This way, a table for example, is created with 4 legs, which uses 4 instances of the same component. If one leg is modified, FG would insert a new member in its place before modification can proceed. We then end up with 2 legs, 1 qty. & 3 qty.

Various commands are disabled for FG Frames, Skeletons & Members. Why not 'change' other commands depending on file 'type' (If file = FG, then insert/swap member before edit)

maartenverbunt
Enthusiast

I would love to see the frame generator improved in this field. I too believe that it should re-use existing frame members, and replace them with a new one when it detects a hole or cut in one of them.

jtylerbc
Mentor

I currently deal with this using a VBA macro that changes the Part Number field to a combination of the Stock Number and Length.  This combines like members in the BOM (due to part number rollup - they are still seperate part files).

While this method is better than doing it all manually, there are a number of issues I run into with it that I have to maintain manually, which this suggested change would likely eliminate altogether:

1)  Frame elements that are the same size and length, but with different end treatments

2)  Frame elements that are identical in size and length, but one has additional features (such as holes), resulting in difference

3)  Frame elements that previously were the same, but one has a size change or feature added later that results in difference

A better way of handling these situations would be a huge step forward for our use of the Frame Generator.

smithar
Autodesk
Status changed to: Under Review

BryanKelley
Alumni
Status changed to: Under Review
This project [US5180] [US7307] is under review by the development team.
dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Accepted

Accepted ideas [US5180] [US7307]. Thanks!

swhite
Collaborator

Well I do know that Tesla Structures allows you to simply copy an existing part, rename it and automatically applies all end treatments to any parts it makes contact with. Of course thats $20,000.00 per seat, but certainly something similar can be done with Inventor.

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Implemented
This idea has been implemented within Autodesk Inventor 2015. Special thanks to everyone who cast your Kudo for it. Enhancements have been made within the Assembly environment > Frame Generator tool to include the ability to Reuse and Change Reuse members (for re-orientation or repositioning of reused members). Likewise within the Drawing environment, reused members are grouped together within your parts lists to reflect accurate ITEM QTYs. Please be sure to check this out in Autodesk Inventor 2015. Thanks!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report