Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flaws in INVENTOR 2014

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
698 Views, 3 Replies

Flaws in INVENTOR 2014

I just started Inventor Professional 2014 & found a major flaw

they introduced a new feature :

Self-intersecting sweeps
With the enhanced sweep command, you can create sweeps that were previously considered too complex to solve. You can sweep large profiles along small fillets and bends.
The following image displays examples of previous sweep failures on the left, and successful 2014 sweeps on the right.

following sketch was taken for path

path sketch.JPG

and a circle of diameter 10mm was taken. the resultant generated without error of self intersecting surface.

But the generated part had problem in selecting surfaces.

I selected different surfaces 7 turned them to yellow, but few surfaces couldn't be selected.

Test Part.jpg

I am attaching the part file "Test Part.ipt" (created in Inventor Professional 2014)

I think that the software coding need to be re written.

plz reply

Regards

Saurabh Chowdhary

saurabh.chowdhary@live.com

Labels (1)
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
glenn-chun
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi Saurabh,

Many thanks for reporting this defect.  This is a special case where the start cap face is intersected by the end cap face.  Each cap face gets split into two faces.  Geometry is good in your test model, but internal naming tag for each cap face is attached to only one split face instead of two split faces, causing the problems with face selection and feature coloring.

If you change the length of the line in your test part from 5 mm to 11 mm or longer, then the cap faces don't get split and everything works fine.

We will try hard to include a fix for this defect in Inventor 2014 Service Pack 1.

Best Regards,

Glenn

Autodesk, Inc.

Glenn Chun
Sr. Principal Engineer
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous

Hi Glenn,

Thanks for reply

I tried out the following test, as i already had a doubt regarding the final surface generation of the resultant swept part, 'coz this new feature has ability of resolving self intersecting surface, so there was a greater possibility if algorithm getting wrong. I can clearly see that, to resolve the self intersecting surfaces issue, the surfaces I was not being able to select are the one which a part of intersection zone. And thus their definition of surface is being destroyed (so as to prevent self intersecting surface issue). And they are the surfaces peeking out at the end.

Thanks againfor your concern. Eagerly waiting for the service pack update.

Best Regards,

Saurabh Chowdhary

Message 4 of 4
dan_szymanski

I just verified this in Inventor 2014 SP2 Update3 and Inventor 2015 SP1 Update1 and the model fails to rebuild successfully.  The sweep feature will succeed if the edit to the 5mm sketch dim is applied as Glenn suggested.  Closing this Idea as Solution Provided.  Thanks! -Dan

Dan Szymanski
Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report