Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flat Pattern tools for adding 'green' material

Flat Pattern tools for adding 'green' material

I would like a tool for adding 'green' material (material that will be cut off later) to a flat pattern. This would work similar to the Thicken command in that you would select the edges/faces you want 'green' added to and how much material to add. However (very important) the original edge should be preserved in some way, preferably as a split line in the face so that this can be marked on during the cutting process.

The only current options for doing this are Move Face or by creating a sketch, drawing the 'green' and extruding it. In neither case is the original edge preserved.

The Split tool should also be added to the Flat Pattern work bench for adding additional mark lines. I know these can be done with sketches but splits are neater in some cases

4 Comments
PaulMunford
Autodesk

Are there any tools in the weldment envoironment that would help you with this?

pierre.masson
Alumni

We need to model sheet metal using loft feature.Sometimes it's a lofted surface that we thicken.

Inventor Sheet Metal is not able to unfold them afterwards.

Tags (4)
r_lehmann79
Advocate
Nice Idea, but I think this won't work. In my understanding, the Inventor Sheet Metal is only for parts with simple bendings. If you create parts with lofted surfaces, then you design parts that have to be manufactured by deep drawing. To unfold such complex parts you normally need special fem-based software. I don't know any standard-CAD-Software that can do this. Best regards Ralf
rob_bolter
Enthusiast

If a thickened part does not unfold its because you have the wrong material thickness in the thicken feature. Use "Thickness" in that box and it should unfold, this is usually a problem if the thickness is entered manually and the sheet metal style is changed afterwards (no longer match).

As for the lofts, wouldnt they technically be another stage in the fabrication process, not at the sheet metal fabrication stage?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report