Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fix thread line in sectioned / break out views

Fix thread line in sectioned / break out views

If you have a partially-threaded hole or feature in a sectioned or break out view, the bottom thread line is drawn over all parts in front of the threaded feature instead of being obscured by the parts in front of the thread feature. Right-clicking and turning off the visibility of this line turns off the entire thread line, even the part that is not obscured by other parts.  At the very least, add the option of turning off just the part of the line that is behind any parts in the sectioned view.

Thread Sectioning Error.png

9 Comments
BryanKelley
Alumni

Hello kstate92,

Could you post a copy of the files here?

Thank you.

Bryan

BryanKelley
Alumni

Did you create yours with a part file or an assembly?  At first I thought it may have something to do with the additional section line added in.

1-27-2014 3-40-33 PM.png

Thanks,

Bryan

kstate92
Collaborator

Bryan,

This occurs with assemblies only.  Maybe it's just a problem of assumptions.  I assume the bottom thread line should always be obscured by the other parts; the program doesn't.  I honestly can't think of a reason why that part of the thread line would be visible through other parts in a non-hidden line view.  If that part of the line must be shown, it should at the very least be a hidden line style with a user option to turn it off (independent visibility for the visible and 'occluded' parts of the thread line).

We have our own standard, but it is based on the inch ANSI standard with just a few tweaks; I don't believe they would have influenced this behaviour.

I can't find the parts and drawing shown in my example as it was a very quick, temporary creation of two parts assembled and sectioned (meaning it should be very simple to deplicate the result from scratch).  I'd love to see other folks' results.  I wouldn't complain about it so much except that about 95% of our product involves concentric shafts & tubes with internally threaded ends, sectioned to show the construction and various features.  So right now, it's either that confusing line, or no line whatsoever.

ljordan
Advocate

What about this little fella..

Thread Edge.JPG

kstate92
Collaborator

ljordan,

Another example (note the selected red line):

Section 1.PNG

It does honor the unsectioned part (individually set to no sectioning participation), but not the sectioned part that is screwed into the internally-threaded tubular part.

My standard (based on ANSI inch) was already set per your image; changing it to the other option, saving, and refreshing the view resulted in no change.

inv.ideareview
Autodesk
Thanks for sharing your Idea. We use this forum to guide product development and help users in the best way we can based on voting. We occasionally merge Ideas or archive old ones to keep the forum working properly - it ensures there is room for people to review new Ideas and that the most relevant and meaningful ones can gain votes. We’re archiving this Idea because it's been on the board for well over a year and hasn't received many votes from the community. If you want to raise it again and try to gain more support, you're welcome to do so. We’ve found that pictures and mock-ups can help get concepts across and win more votes from other users. If you have questions or see a connection between this Idea and others, let us know. - Inventor product team (Inv.idea review)
inv.ideareview
Autodesk
Status changed to: Archived

eric_schubert2
Advocate

We have a customer with the exact same request for thread features not being properly obscured by parts in hidden-line scenarios.  Would love to see this issue get more visibility.  Will likely re-post it, unless this can be opened again.

SER4
Collaborator

I seem to be unable to show threads in either a break out drawing view or section drawing view of an assembly?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report