Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find Parts in Browser

Find Parts in Browser

To be able to search/find for part in the browser tree capable of seaching in assemblies. For assemblies with thousands of parts this would be very usefull.

Capture.PNG

11 Comments
mike2411
Contributor

Using the "FIND" feature in Inventor is something I "find" (no pun intended) myself using more and more. Now maybe I'm missing something and don't know how to use it properly, and if that's the case, maybe someone that has good experience using it can "enlighten" me on the way to do things. What I would like to see changed in that "FIND" feature is to have the Feature Tree "expand" all areas where the component(s) you are searching for is/are found. I have found that when I want to locate a feature in my Feature Tree and the Assembly is large, making the list in the Feature Tree long, and I use the "FIND" feature to locate the part the Feature Tree DOES NOT expand to the located components once the search has completed. I have to manually go through the Tree and expand all sub-assemblies and patterns to locate the highlighted items that were found. It's a pain to have to do that, especially when you're "weeding" through the list to see what was found. Making the Feature Tree "expand" to everything that contains the located component would be awesome.

Thanks!

PaulMunford
Autodesk
Click on the little pair of binoculars at the top of the browser for a search box. I agree that it's not particularly intuitive, and could really use a re-vamp.
rejr
Participant

yes i know, they call that find assembly components but you can't type in any file/part number. Very much not user friendly. I have guys say there is problem with part number such well to try and find it in a multiple part assembly is difficult.

mikeh7
Collaborator

I kudo'd it as it's been a long long long wish to revamp that seach dialog box.  Very powerful tool, but almost worthless w/ the complexity and cumbersome nature.  Mimic the open from vault find feature.  Type in a number and hit enter that simple.  Give the option to find in browser, find in window, zoom to in window.

Thanks

rejr
Participant

YES!!!! right now only way is to open the BOM and then search thru the list of parts only and then look on the side of the screen to see if you can see highlighted part (if not inside another). Thanks

asiu
Advocate

Let me start by saying I do appreciate the value of the "Find Assembly Components".

I would like a simpler and faster way to be able to search in the browser, independent of the above mentioned tool. (search and isolate as you type in the search box).

Thank you.

Adrian

Tags (2)
steinar.sorem
Advocate

Try the Inventor Search tool (0.99 USD) you find it in Autodesk Exchange. Its a simple small tool do exactly what we need. Autodesk, please look into this tool. Combine the search in the tool With Find in browser in the graphical window, the Isolate in the browser. BAM, Your there at the Component deep Down below in the subassembly structure

Francois_Genik
Contributor

Is it possible to improve the search tool for both Inventor and the Vault ?  The actual search tool is powerful (too much), outdated and complicated.

What would be nice is a fuzzy search engine right in the panels or in the Quick Access Toolbar or just over the browser.  Direct search without extra window.

Results could be show in a popup sorted by categories like filename, partnumber, description, material, etc.

Or

Just highlight in the browser and window

Or

"Isolated" in the browser and window. (like Outlook)

And the more powerful tool could be access with the same existing button.

Tags (2)
asiu
Advocate

@Francois_Genik

This was requested before:

Original:

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideas/find-parts-in-browser/idi-p/4861704

Other request:

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideas/search-in-browser-a-simpler-and-faster-way/idi-p/55337...

Please cast your votes to the original idea, as it already has many votes.

Autodesk, please combined the requests votes, if possible. Thank you.

See solidworks for good example of this
dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Implemented

This idea has been implemented within Autodesk Inventor 2018. Find things quickly and easily in the current active document with the new browser search.  Supported search candidates include; File nodes (both collapsed and expanded), iProperties, Relationships and Features. Special thanks to everyone who cast a vote for it.

Search.jpg

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report