Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find and Replace text search in Inventor files.

Find and Replace text search in Inventor files.

It would be nice to have a Find and Replace tool that would allow us to look for text values in the active file type.

1. Drawing file - search iProeprties, Note text, View Label text, Dimension text, Table text, etc.
  2. Assembly files - search iProeprties, Sketch text, Browser text, etc.
  3. Part files - search iProeprties, Sketch text, Browser text, etc.

Related link:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor/How-do-I-search-for-text-in-a-file/m-p/4343227#M4776...

22 Comments
Curtis_Waguespack
Consultant

yikes! I should really use the spell check button more often. Smiley Embarassed

iProeprties > iProperties

moto748
Advocate

Fully agree! I have a 15 sheet fabrication drawing covered in notes, and when my boss suddenly decides that he doesn't like 'closer plate', and wants it replaced by 'closing plate' in every instance...

jjkoz78
Participant

I definitely need this.  I have over 80 files that need one line of text changed, and I don't want to have to open each drawing, double click the text, find the text that I want to replace, highlight it, paste the text, click ok, click over to the next file and repeat the process for all 80 something files.  Autodesk really needs to put more effort into giving the users what we need to get our work done.  This is a professional software, and things like this really slow down productivity.

bhearron
Explorer

Agreed!! We do a lot of Copy Designs that need title blocks and notes edited. The number of sheets in one DWG file can get pretty extensive. This would allow the majority of users to work much more efficiently. AUTODESK implement this option!!!! 

jjkoz78
Participant
The sad thing is that this thread was started over four years ago and nothing has changed yet. If there is an Autodesk employee reading this thread, can you please explain why simple features like this are not part of the basic functionality of the software? At least say something to let us know that you are paying attention to your customers.
jjkoz78
Participant

Over six months later, still nothing.  Figures

kadscad
Collaborator

Spellcheck and find and replace need to work in balloons and callout... symbols title section detail too

Telson.Hadden
Advocate

2019? please say this exists?

kadscad
Collaborator

Sorry Telson .

Spellcheck and find and replace are still missing.

Good lord Autodesk you have the code from Autocad and Revit just added.

jeamy.baena
Advocate

Greetings,

Spellcheck is already added in 2019.2 release.

Still waiting for find and replace command!! 😞

kadscad
Collaborator

Jeamy

Are you calling the spellcheck under the tool option spellcheck? Come on that's a pitiful stab at spellcheck.

It only shows you a red squiggly line in the word processor that it is spelled incorrectly. It should also make suggestions.

Along with that feature, you should be able to scan the entire dwg page for incorrect spelling. it does scan sketch symbols or bom and part list title blocks.

bapiorkowski
Community Visitor

yes please, not in the 2020 version - available soon? 

blessing86
Enthusiast

How is it 2020 and still don't have this option?

jmenier
Advocate

How is it 2020 2021 and still don't have this option?

kadscad
Collaborator

GEEZ REALLY. HOW HARD CAN IT BE TO ADD THAT?

anthony_hendrick
Advocate

Has this topic gone to a vote? I would like to add my vote if this is the case.

kadscad
Collaborator

Spellcheck only indicates that a word is misspelled when typing in the text.

There is no document search for incorrect spellings. I need this tool badly. I suck at typing and spelling

John_L_Hermosa
Enthusiast

I have to make my own app....

https://youtu.be/RgA85ABKWuc

^_^clovis^_^
Advocate

Hello John,

I just saw your application. Such search function should be available in Inventor native. It looks very good.

Do you mind sharing some of your knowledge, code or application?

I don't want to be pushy as I know how much time an App can consume to develop.

I was also planning to start making my own for IDW only (at first). I begun to look at object containing text, but I stopped as I couldn't get the text from a weld object.

I remarked that your structure to put objects containing texts in a collection look kind of what I was aiming at (or not).

Just hope that Autodesk Inventor developers will look at writing a "search tool" - soon-.

Jason.Rugg
Collaborator

@Curtis_Waguespack Did anything ever come of this?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report