Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Parts List/Bill of Materials for Sheet rather than Assembly

Parts List/Bill of Materials for Sheet rather than Assembly

A fairly common practice is to detail multiple components (generally parts, but also possibly assemblies) on a single sheet, and have a Bill of Materials for all items on that sheet up in the corner of the sheet. As common and practical as this sounds, Inventor does not facilitate it in any way.

There is no way to place a Parts List on a sheet that lists all the components on that Sheet. Parts Lists have to be linked to an Assembly, but there may not be an assembly that corresponds exactly to the items detailed on a particular sheet.

So our only options are to either manually type up a Parts List table (very bad idea), or create a dummy assembly that contains the items detailed on the sheet and use that to create the sheet's Parts List. This works, but it requires creating and keeping up with an extra assembly file for every single sheet, and also requires manually keeping the components in the assembly in sync with the items detailed on the sheet.

I propose that there should be an option to link a Parts List to the sheet itself, and then treat the sheet essentially like an Assembly, where each View on the sheet represents a component "in" the sheet. A Parts List can then be placed on the sheet in the "Structured" or "Parts Only" format, listing either each component which has a View on the sheet (if Structured is chosen) or all parts which appear in a View on the sheet (if Parts Only is chosen).

34 Comments
melmo
Enthusiast

When using the "Ballooned Items Only" filter in an idw's parts list, you should be able to choose to filter based on the balloons on the sheet OR the entire drawing.

Currently, if you have multiple sheets with multiple parts lists, the "Ballooned Items Only" filters items ballooned throughout the entire drawing. This is annoying because if you only have 2 or 3 items ballooned on a sheet and want the parts list to filter for those items, you will not be able to if other items have been ballooned on other sheets because those items will also show.

Tags (3)
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm looking to do the same thing!!

If you found a way or Autodesk decide to add this function I would be glad to know about it.

iUser
Advocate

Hi Guys,

I would like to see all parts lists link to the sheet that the parts list is placed on. Currently it links to all the sheets within the parent drawing which is incorrect as sometimes you have multiple sheets for big assemblies.

Current eg.: If I have 3 sheets with different balloons on each sheet - every parts list placed within that drawing will link to all the balloons.

How it should be eg.: Each parts list placed on every sheet should only link to the balloons on that specific sheet.

We work with big asseblies so going into every parts list on every sheet and hiding all the balloons that isn't used on that sheet is NOT an option. Its time consuming and allows for errors to occur.

Please vote if you agree with this simple change :-)..

Tags (3)
shawn.payne
Advocate

You have the same part in your assemblies having multiple balloons? One part = one balloon. I think what you are suggesting could cause massive errors in BOM's

jletcher
Advisor
You are doing something wrong.. Or not understanding you post.. I have multi sheets with sub assemblies and parts list on every sheet never had a balloon issue..
iUser
Advocate

Ok so I though I better attach some pictures just to explain the scenario better.

This is a assembly drawing of a cylinder, on the first sheet (Assy) I balloon all the neccessary parts and I set my parts list filter to ballooned items only:

Cyl1.JPG

My partslist filter for this sheet:

Cyl2.JPG

Then on my next sheet (Seals only) I want to just show the seals for example (for maintenance manual), and set my filter to ballooned items only, but it also then shows the ballooned items that I have on the first sheet (Assy) as seen below:

Cyl3.JPG

My Partslist filter for the Seals only sheet:

Cyl4.JPG

As I mentioned before you can right click on the parts and hide them, but if you have an assembly with more that 500 parts on it and you only want to show the items ballooned on the current sheet it still links to the other sheets if they were also ballooned.

We often have up to ten sheets per drawing:

Main Assembly

Sales Drawing

Maintenance

Manual

Etc.

The first sheet usually has all items ballooned, but the other sheets you don't always want to shows all the balloons as shown on the Main assembly drawing, therefore you only balloon the items that are neccessary, but then your parts list still shows all the items that have balloons throughout all the sheets. I do not have time to go into each sheet, then into the parts list and hide each part that I do not want to show up in the parts list. This will take me forever. Thus they need to change that the parts list only links to the balloons on the active sheet where the parts list is placed and not to all the balloons placed on all the sheets within the drawing.

shawn.payne
Advocate
Maybe I'm not getting what you are trying to do. You can't place a parts list that is for the sub-assembly only?

Parent

-----sub
shawn.payne
Advocate

OK the pictures helped. On sheet 2 if you only want seals to show you can maybe sort by description. That would group them all together, assuming they follow standard naming. Then you can select a line the do the shift and select a line 200 rows down and turn them to visibility off. You can maybe edit the names in the content center to make them sort easier, maybe add a "-seal" to the family name. You can also create a custom iProperty for the seals etc. name it sht2 or whatever and add that column to the parts list table making it easy to sort. I have a similar issue with tube and pipe. We show a cut table for the pipe length, but it also includes all of the fittings which require me to turn the visibility off.

DRoam
Mentor

@Discussion_Admin, please merge this duplicate into the following idea which is the original: Filter "Ballooned Items Only" in Parts Lists by Balloons on Sheet, Not by IDW

David-Truyens
Enthusiast

Yes, I need that as well!

JonWilshusen
Contributor

I can do this in AutoCAD Mechanical. I should be able to do it in Inventor as well

robb_burford
Participant

Hello,

Was there ever a solution to this issue? I have exactly the same problem, only wanting the parts list to read what is ballooned on the active sheet not the entire assembly across all sheets.

vankesselDH8VM
Community Visitor

Is there already a solution for this?

I have now a sheet with parts list and some of them are filled in without attaching any balloons ons this sheet...

inv.ideareview
Autodesk
Thanks for sharing your Idea. We use this forum to guide product development and help users in the best way we can based on voting. We occasionally merge Ideas or archive old ones to keep the forum working properly - it ensures there is room for people to review new Ideas and that the most relevant and meaningful ones can gain votes. We’re archiving this Idea because it's been on the board for well over a year and hasn't received many votes from the community. If you want to raise it again and try to gain more support, you're welcome to do so. We’ve found that pictures and mock-ups can help get concepts across and win more votes from other users. If you have questions or see a connection between this Idea and others, let us know. - Inventor product team (Inv.idea review)
inv.ideareview
Autodesk
Status changed to: Archived

DANIEL.DELANEY
Advocate

Id pay a 1000$ to have this resolved!

DANIEL.DELANEY
Advocate

This idea was lodged in 2014, has there been a solution for this problem? I still experience this issue with Inventor 2014, has it been fixed n newer versions. 

JonWilshusen
Contributor

As of Version 2018 this issue hasn't been addressed

jletcher
Advisor

I wish I came back and read this..

Work around for this would to make the seals purchase parts and in BOM only show purchase parts..

BP-OZ
Enthusiast

I also wish I'd seen this earlier. I understand exactly what this iuser is saying. I have the same issues. Breaking down larger assemblies into smaller parts drawings.

Pity it was archived

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report