Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File Tabs --> Auto-Expand and Stack

File Tabs --> Auto-Expand and Stack

Need a way to increase the length of the tab of the file name at the bottom of the screen? I am working with several layouts with the same prefix but can't tell what is what until I pick on them.

Did notice the little arrow thingy on the left will list all files open with the entire filename spelled out, but just an extra click.

In Excel, the tab length expands to the tabname automatically, like to see same in Inventor.

One additional request is to have the tabs stack vertical as the bottom row is maxed out. I hate when I have to scroll to see all the files that I have open. Seems like I am constantly scrolling back and forth to get to the file I need.

tabs in inventor.png

5 Comments
alexmende
Collaborator

I was just about to create this idea myself. Here's a picture I made.

stackopenfiles.jpg

dougshuckra2551
Community Visitor

The change to full names showing in the tab has made our work flow less efficient.  All our files names start with a unique part number and then description.  We only need to see the beginning of the files names.  Not being able to see all the files that are open anymore without extra clicks was a good idea as long as there was a way to turn the feature on or off for others that don't need the full file name.

paul.vandalen
Explorer

I agree with dougshuckra2551. Our company has long filenames and now we can only have 4 parts visible before we have to click on the little arrows. Extra clicking is always bad for workflow. Please add an option to set the length of the tabs. Thanks

steveh3
Advisor

Just an update....

Either in Inventor 2022 or 2023 they improved on this. Looks like they allow for longer names on the tabs and then you have a hamburger menu in the bottom right which names all the tabs vertically....

steveh_0-1686740039939.png

Best,

Steve H.

rcolon9E4ZX
Advocate

Any updates? This really could just be a truncate length parameter in the Application Options to only show a maximum 16 characters for example. I have more specifics in the following link.

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-forum/document-tabs-are-too-wide-for-long-names/m-p/12532647...

Regards,

Rafael

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report