Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feature/sketch Numbers Reset Ability

Feature/sketch Numbers Reset Ability

Searching through the forums there are a ton of references to an on going issue when templates are created these feature numbers not reseting themselves.  I feel either place a command/function that allows users to reset these numbers in the templates or fix it so this is not an issue.

This is the latest thread on the topic.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor/Resetting-first-Sketch-to-Sketch1-in-Template/m-p/43...

23 Comments
SteveMDennis
Autodesk
Status changed to: Comments Requested
If when you did New from template we reset ANY counter to the first available value would that be sufficient? Don't forget your template could already have real sketches or features in them as part of your template. The issue is we don't ever reuse values, actually trying to fill in any gaps can be a problem. Since a template is in the end just another file I would be hesitent to add a "reset" command because if you reset it on an active file, some references would really go bonkers...
mrattray
Advisor

Steven,

I'm not sure what you mean by "ANY counter". Does that mean all counters? If so, then I think that's exactly what's being asked for.

I'm not sure what "The issue is we don't ever reuse values, actually trying to fill in any gaps can be a problem." means. What are you referring to as a "gap"?

"I would be hesitent to add a "reset" command" - I agree completely, simply making this a pat of Save Copy As Template should be more than sufficient.

On a tangent: What exactly does the command Save Copy As Template do currently that Save Copy As doesn't?

Cadmanto
Mentor

Steven,
Not sure what you mean by "ANY" counter.  Are there counters to begin with that we don't know about?

Yes, I am aware that templates that have pre-existing sketches or features will take the first numbers.

As far as reseting, my thoughts are that they would start from the beginning and fill the gaps (if there are any) numbering from "1" going up.

bvankauw
Contributor
This feature would be amazing. My sketches start at 11, extrusions at 7, and my parts lists start at 7.
ic198
Advocate

Is it possible to reset the issue number of a drawing? I often copy whole projects and then the drawing issues are all incorrect. If it isn't possible, some way to reset this would be great

Barry1Lau
Advocate

A reset on new part or assembly would be great.  If I had to manually re-number due to inserting a feature in the browser I could live with it because I currently have to renumber everything now.

ccamara01
Collaborator

This is a pretty old idea.  Would be nice if it was addressed.

stuartmp
Advocate

This is a good idea and should be fixed up.

Inventor should also fill in the gaps if you delete a sketch

eg.

Sketch 1

Sketch 2

Sketch 3 --> Delete this one

Sketch 4

Sketch 5

new sketch

Sketch 3

As far a inventors internal references playing up if this part is linked to another part using Sketch 3.

I would think that then name 'Sketch 3' is just a friendly name for the user to read and the actual internal

name for the sketch is probably system generated to be unique something cryptic like aa-cc-233-xxx-jh

this avoids internal reference problems.

josh
Advocate

i have just come across this issue myself as i want to save a part file someone has already been using as a template to make parts from it knowing all the settings in that part file are correct. the parameters are starting at d54, sketches at Sketch6 and so forth for features.

it would be great if "Save Copy as Template" reset all these counters (and any others) so that everything starts at 0 or 1 again, or as suggested the first available if there are existing sketches etc..

i can understand that it doesn't really make that big of a difference when you can rename parameters to what ever you want anyway, but it is a little annoying when trying to find the right parameter to rename. i don't see why this would not be possible given that all parts from any template start at the same values.

personally i don't think there is a great need for "filling the gaps". although the OCD in me can see that would be a nice feature.

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Accepted

Accepted idea [INVGEN-592]. Thanks!

ulasdeniz
Mentor

We strongly need this. 

stuartmp
Advocate
You would think this would be so easy to implement but nothing seems to happen. This and other similar annoyance should be fixed not overlooked
petestrycharske
Advisor

I just want to check / request @dan_szymanski that this also includes drawing view labels for the IDW and Inventor DWG files, as well?  Please let me know if you have any questions.  Hope all is well and have a most blessed day!

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Future Consideration

Changing the status from Accepted to Future Consideration.

Barry1Lau
Advocate
Sounds great.

lukas.csorgo
Explorer

Very needed feature...

MFlores
Explorer

This should also apply to drawings Views. (ie delete everything and the new first Section starts with D-D)

thayek12
Explorer

To add to this in 2020: I often copy an old drawing from a previous program in our company, delete views and make my new drawing.  I do this since many other items are already addressed like text font, border style and company logo's latest version, drawing notes, and other symbols.  Since i wasn't the first to create the drawing border and title blocks or the original template, i'm forced to go this route without spending too much of my week making a new template so that all new views (details, section) come in starting at A.  Please provide this feature soon.

marcin.mozolewski
Community Visitor

Please provide a solution!

also the counter for the parameters (e.g. "d1", "d2") should be reset-able

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea