Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Favorites holes

Favorites holes

nomally Kinds of holes size and types are defined.

so if i have my pre-definded list or my favorie hole list, it will be faster to make holes.

27 Comments
kevin_park
Autodesk

[Inventor Wish] in detail.
Imagine that hundreds of hole on one plate.(it's normal case for industrial machineries)
Many customers have requested " favorite hole definition feature" for a long time.
Industrial machinery users are spending a lot of time to set hole size and type everytime.

The kinds of holes are particularly defined in real world.  for example "M3 Tap Hole Thru"  ,  "M4 Tap Hole Thru " , "M4 C'bore Thru" etc.
[ex: "M3 Tap hole thru" will be thru hole with 3.4 mm diameter]
[ex: " M4 C'bore will be 5.5 mm Couterbore 6.5mm DP and 4.5 hole thru]
anything can be defined by users.

Most of case, people in one comapany already knows the size, type height and everything
from those "defined name"
so if we have favorite hole definition in hole wizard, it will be very nice.
and users may just simply choose one from their favorite hole list.

ehyu
Community Visitor

good idea

sylee
Explorer

i need

Favorites holes !!!!

Heart

jmkim
Explorer

I strongly recommend it

We must update it!!!

kevin_park
Autodesk

and Solidworks has it already.

HoleSolidworks.jpg

jletcher
Advisor

Inventor has this too just set it up in the spread sheet.

Make a tab called favorite holes you can have names or sizes to call out the holes.

eseich21
Contributor

As many kudos says, no one knows even if it is possible.

becuase it's not easy to set it in Excel by users.

it must be very instinct , easy and simple like a configuration dialogue box.

is it a high technology?

kevin_park
Autodesk

Here is the UI I'm thinking.

Favorite Hole.jpg

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Accepted

Accepted idea [US-55201]. Thanks!

lennart.losjo
Enthusiast

I havent found this anywhere in this forum.

I really miss the option, when i create a counterbore or countersink with the hole command, to have standard configurations of the hole dimensions. It dont need to be every standard in the world, but i should be able to create hole templates my self, just like the bolted connection templates. 

Tags (5)
jletcher
Advisor

Why can't you create your own hole templates?

This can be done just and it in the excel file.

I have rivets, AN hole clearance, Rivet Nuts, Helicoil holes added to mine..

Just add a tab for screws and put in your information..

miechh
Collaborator

If it was that easy, why isn't there a tutorial to do this? At least, I haven't found it (yet). If you mess-up this excel-sheet, I guess you're in trouble.

jletcher
Advisor

Here you go..

Just make sure you make a copy and put it some place just in case you mess up.

This is for 2011 but you do it the same way just the location of the templates have changed..

The video is basic if it does not work for you let me know I can make one..

http://www.inventortales.com/2011/10/modifying-hole-table-in-autodesk.html

lennart.losjo
Enthusiast

Yes it can be found under "clearence hole" section, but what i mean is that there should be a cleaner inteface, if i choose Counterbore, i want to have the ability to choose what counter bore i want to use, why have to choose "clearence hole" in addition, i meant a more strait forward interface, but maby its just me 🙂 . Of course you can make a counter bored hole without the intension of putting a fastner in it, and if your intension is to put a fastner in the hole you need to put clearence around the screw and head, hence the use of "clearence hole".

miechh
Collaborator

Okay thanks. But this is not what I meant and maybe I misunderstood the topic title. With custom holes I mean holes containing multiple features, such as o-ring grooves, fillets AND chamfers. For parts with multiple (>20 pcs) holes, the workaround that I use:

- Create a sheet-metal iFeature containing these features

- Convert the part in which the holes should be placed to a Sheet-metal part

- Create a sketch with multiple centerholes

- Activate Punches-command and select iFeature

- Place holes

- Convert part back into normal part

I wish I could use the Hole-command to do the same without having my part converted into a sheet-metal-part and back.

jletcher
Advisor

@ lennart

WHAT? That is not what your idea post was.

You said you want the ability to have your own I gave you that.

Now you want what, the interface is great in the hole dialog.

Why do you have to pick clearance hole, would not be a Counterbore without a hole if you don't want a hole just use extrude cut.

It is called a "Counterbore" not "Counterbore hole" ..

You might want to look at ifeatures for what you are asking I think that would be the best for you seeing how you don't want a hole.

@ Miechh

You do not need to make a punch tool and convert to do what you are asking.

Just make a regular ifeature.

But I do think they need to add the ability to use Center point for ifeatures not just for the punch tool..

I will post this as a new idea...

Lubo-PT
Contributor

Good idea. But why only favorite holes? I would appreciate also favorite threads (not only hole threads), tolerances...

dziner4u2
Explorer

This is rediculous that "favorite holes" haven't been implemented into the software 6 years ago. I am a former SW user and there are so many things that are frustrating. One big one is not having "feature driven pattern". (and don't give me that shpeel about pattern based on a pattern...useless). Setting hole dimensions every time is absolutely a waste of my time. Dialogue box with pick my favorites would be soooo easy. Geez.

chrisw01a
Collaborator

The inventor default hole size is always 1/4".  This means that almost always, you will have to change this value when doing a hole command.  

It would be REALLY nice if we could change the default hole diameter to a commonly used size for our company.

It seems like an easy option to add.  I'm sure there are at least a few others out there that would like this functionality.

Thank you.

Chris

Untitled.png

LauriLink
Contributor

This will be really helpfull

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report