Inventor IdeaStation
Share your ideas about how to improve Inventor with the Development Team.
12 Kudos
andrewgardner1514

Facility to jog an extension line when placing a dimension on a drawing

by Valued Contributor andrewgardner1514 on ‎02-07-2013 04:23 AM

I would like to be able to place the dimension, then drag the extension line to an appropriate position per this thread:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor/Dimension-Extention-Line-Jog/td-p/3432139

Useful for example when dimensioning multiple bores that are similar in size, extension lines can be too close together without this functionality.

Comments
by *Pro on ‎02-07-2013 04:53 AM

This could work by right click on the appropriate extension line and choose Add Jog, which could then be manipulated like an Ordinate dimension line.  Right click again to select Remove Jog.

Sam B
Inventor 2012 Certified Professional

Please click "Accept as Solution" if this response answers your question.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor Professional 2013 SP1.1 Update 1
Windows XP Pro 32-bit, SP3
HP EliteBook 8730w; 4 GB RAM; Core™ 2 Duo T9400 2.53 GHz; Quadro FX2700M
SpaceExplorer/SpaceNavigator NB, driver 3.7.18
still waiting for a foreshortened radius dimensioning tool in Drawing Manager

by Employee on ‎02-07-2013 01:56 PM

Hello Andrew,

Is the dimension shown in the previous post on the other forum an ordinate dimension?  Can you post the drawing file and the part it is documenting here?

I'm not aware that there are any standards that recognize a jogged extension line for linear dimensions.

Thanks,

Bryan

Sr. Software QA Engineer

DLS – Mechanical Design 

by Employee on ‎02-07-2013 01:56 PM
Status changed to: Comments Requested

by *Expert Elite* on ‎02-07-2013 04:11 PM

I don't know about jogging linear dimensions, but I'd love to be able to jog radial dimensions and hole notes, etc., in the same way that you can add a vertex to leader text.  There's times when that would be VERY handy.

by Valued Contributor andrewgardner1514 on ‎02-08-2013 01:14 AM

I'm not aware of any standards either. Regardless, I would still like the option added to ensure that my drawings can be illustrated much more clearly where I see fit.

by madcad77 ‎02-08-2013 01:16 AM - edited ‎02-08-2013 01:17 AM

I was able to do this in pro\engineer 13 years ago.

whether in a standard or not, I think this needs to be an option, as it is extreamily useful when designing miniature components with fine detail.

by Employee on ‎05-24-2013 01:24 PM
Status changed to: Under Review

Submit Your Ideas

Share and shape product ideas.

New Idea
You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
IdeaStation Guidelines
Review guidelines and best practices
before posting a new idea.

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube