Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Radius dimension with Jog include center mark and jogged linear dimensions

Radius dimension with Jog include center mark and jogged linear dimensions

I would like the ability to add a center mark and dimension linear dimensions to jogged (or Forshortened) radius in drawing.  Currently the Jogged radius does not jog the center mark and linear dimensions.

29 Comments
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would like to be able to place the dimension, then drag the extension line to an appropriate position per this thread:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor/Dimension-Extention-Line-Jog/td-p/3432139

Useful for example when dimensioning multiple bores that are similar in size, extension lines can be too close together without this functionality.

SBix26
Mentor

This could work by right click on the appropriate extension line and choose Add Jog, which could then be manipulated like an Ordinate dimension line.  Right click again to select Remove Jog.

Sam B
Inventor 2012 Certified Professional

Please click "Accept as Solution" if this response answers your question.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor Professional 2013 SP1.1 Update 1
Windows XP Pro 32-bit, SP3
HP EliteBook 8730w; 4 GB RAM; Core™ 2 Duo T9400 2.53 GHz; Quadro FX2700M
SpaceExplorer/SpaceNavigator NB, driver 3.7.18
still waiting for a foreshortened radius dimensioning tool in Drawing Manager

BryanKelley
Alumni

Hello Andrew,

Is the dimension shown in the previous post on the other forum an ordinate dimension?  Can you post the drawing file and the part it is documenting here?

I'm not aware that there are any standards that recognize a jogged extension line for linear dimensions.

Thanks,

Bryan

Sr. Software QA Engineer

DLS – Mechanical Design 

BryanKelley
Alumni
Status changed to: Comments Requested

LT.Rusty
Advisor

I don't know about jogging linear dimensions, but I'd love to be able to jog radial dimensions and hole notes, etc., in the same way that you can add a vertex to leader text.  There's times when that would be VERY handy.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm not aware of any standards either. Regardless, I would still like the option added to ensure that my drawings can be illustrated much more clearly where I see fit.

madcad77
Contributor

I was able to do this in pro\engineer 13 years ago.

whether in a standard or not, I think this needs to be an option, as it is extreamily useful when designing miniature components with fine detail.

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Under Review

Junko.Nanga
Explorer

The jog direction for the radius dimension of Inventor has consistency which means no change jog direction even if move the dimension to anywhere as the following movie.

http://autode.sk/1M41eFk

However for ACM, it would be changed accordingly as the following.

http://autode.sk/1LAyePU

I would like Inventor's dimension to be same behavior as ACM's one.

Thanks.

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Gathering Support

jamie.white
Explorer

This has been an issue for far too long!  I have seen posts from '01 with the same request.  This post is from '13.  It is now '16 and it still isn't resolved.  Please add the feature to all linear dimension lines to be jogged so we don't have to fake the dimension anymore!  Thanks.

burtploof9085
Explorer

SolidWorks has had this option since 2008, standard or not. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Currently switching to PTC software as it's now cheaper and doesn't have any of these usability niggles. About time Autodesk fixed these basic niggles instead of concentrating on expanding capability with bolt-ons that I will never use.

bpiekos
Community Visitor

This feature exists in other Solid modeling packages and would be great add.

jeffsteiger6735
Advocate

16 plus years of user requests and then it's just "Archived".

Good work Autodesk.....

dan_szymanski
Autodesk

Hello @jeffsteiger6735

Sorry for the confusion here.  I suspect while reviewing Ideas, an admin merged a duplicate Idea post into this Master Idea.  In doing so the votes get transferred & credited into the Master Idea, however the comments also come along in the merge.  I suspect the duplicate post possessed minimal support and was archived, thus the "archive messaging" comment came along for the ride.

The "16 years" comment is a more complicated issue (in nature) tied to many, many factors.  All I can say is that the current Inventor team is doing all we can to revisit & address the 1,000s of functional requests that have been logged over the years of our Product's existence.  I can see how it might be easy to lose hope and I truly wish we could implement every good idea (new and old).  We are trying.

-Dan

seeyikling
Observer

Hi, I was reading the threads in hope for a solution of jogging the extension line in a linear dimension, so one of the extension line can be dragged a bit further away, so to gives nicer presentation when dimensioning it. Can anyone help me with this or where can I look for the solution/ workaround?

Come on, another basic stuff inventor keeps failing and failing over and over.

I can't consider this a CAD program if I can't place dimensions as standards recommends.

Please make this a priority.

chris_blessing
Advocate

currently leadered dimensions, such as radius, don't have the ability to have a jog. It would be cool to allow for a jog /vertex point or even the ability to add another leader to point to a nearby feature.

samuel_cot
Explorer

It must be done. It's not an idea, it's a standard : ASME y14.5 (1.8.2.2 Foreshortened Radii).

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report