Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extrusion command with offset from face and distance

Extrusion command with offset from face and distance

A more flexible Extrusion command is needed.

We should be able to extrude the slot starting from the lower face with a distance of 0,2 inch

Extrude.png

Benefits:
- one central entry point to modify the Geometry
- no additional Workplane needed

13 Comments
Heathos88
Enthusiast

Agree with you here, I have gotten around this with the Emboss feature.

h.schkorwaga
Advocate

This would be very useful when modeling top-Down (skeletal-modeling). SolidWorks has this option for about 10 years(?) - sorry...

I you are used to SolidWorks this is really something you miss!

The_Angry_Elf
Advisor

I can see what you're getting at here. Never really had a need but I can see one.

As it is, the only solution I can see is if you do the extrusion subtract and select the "To" option, select the first (top face of where you want to start cutting) and then click on the direction arrow that shows in the preview of the operation, the heads up menu will at that point show the distance from the sketch to that selected face, from there you can type in "+ 0,2" and it'll cut the slot 0,2 from that face.

A bit round about but it works.

JLeeSaxon
Enthusiast

I second this idea. Not something that comes up a lot for me, but would be a smart addition. Basically all this would be is automating the steps joflaherty described.

stuartmp
Advocate

Great Idea, However there would need to be some other setting as well so that the true depth is know for machining operations.

If this feature was a hole for instance. It maybe drilled prior to the other rectangular cut being machined.

Or

The hole could be drill after the rectangular cutout was made and the drilled hole would be referenced from the new lower face.

This would need to be reflected actually in the hole note for instance.

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Accepted

Accepted idea [US-92002]. Thanks!

DRoam
Mentor

This would be great. All that is needed is a "From" option added to the Extents dropdown, which asks for a reference face and an extrude distance.

It would also be great if we were given control over the start and end OFFSET for each of the extents options. I would use this all the time in skeletal modeling. For example, I could use the "Between" option and select two faces to extrude between, but then give a 1" offset from each face. This would give me much better parametric control over the model without having to create excess work planes. And in the OP's example, rather than use the "From" option, he could alternatively use the "To" option, select the small square face, and specify an offset distance of 0.2 from the face.

Well, I've convinced myself...  🙂 I created a request for that additional control. It's located here:  Ability to specify offset from extrusion start/end faces.

DRoam
Mentor

Hi all. Please take a look at a related request here that needs some support: Make 'Between Points' an Available Selection for an Extrusion.

This would be really useful in multibody modeling when you want to extrude between points or endpoints in a sketch, without having to create workplanes for each extrusion.

DRoam
Mentor

Some other great extrusion suggestions:

Other Ideas asking for the same functionality:

yannick3
Collaborator

great to add parts side play

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Implemented

This idea has been implemented within Autodesk Inventor 2018. Special thanks to everyone who cast a vote for it.

jeanie.wayker
Alumni

See here for more info: What's New 2018 Extrude

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report