Inventor IdeaStation
Share your ideas about how to improve Inventor with the Development Team.
173 Kudos
michael.marx

ESC key stop operation

by Valued Contributor michael.marx on ‎12-12-2012 12:54 AM

the ability to stop all operations/calculations with ESC key instead of killing the inventor.exe process! 

Accepted idea [US20883]. Thanks!
Comments
by Valued Contributor fprico on ‎12-13-2012 05:35 AM

totally agree!

by Employee ‎02-25-2013 08:27 AM - edited ‎02-25-2013 08:29 AM
Status changed to: Comments Requested

Hello Michael & the Inventor Community,

I agree an "Emergency Stop" ESC key is a great idea. However please understand there are 100s of commands in Inventor. Implementing this idea globally would entail a significant undertaking. As such, would you ALL be willing to provide us with a list of your Top 5 to Top 10 commands that would benefit you most if you were to have access to this capability?  Please append your Top 5 or Top 10 lists to this Idea thread via the comments. 

Thanks for your continued participation to this forum. -Dan

by Distinguished Contributor rmerlob on ‎02-26-2013 12:37 PM

I have a top 2:

Fillet and loft, crashed waaay to many times using this, without saving as well.....

Thanks,

RM

by Valued Contributor michael.marx on ‎02-27-2013 03:54 AM

Hi Dan,

1.) fillet

2.) delete face and heal

3.) repair environment heal command

4.) stitch

5.) unstitch

6.) sculpt

7.) pattern

8.) derive

8.) update

9.) loft

10.) import dwg

by Valued Contributor DVDM on ‎03-20-2013 10:17 PM

1.) The Open command.

If loading a large assembly takes too long, let me hit Esc to stop loading, and simply show the assembly as it has opened up to that point, with the rest suppressed.

by *Expert Elite* on ‎03-28-2013 06:07 AM

I just want to be able to kill an iLogic routine. I have lots of macros that I use throughout the day, some of them have loops that take quite a bit of time to execute. One routine actually contains over 10,000 lines of code. It never fails when I'm running one of these routines, I realize I forgot to do something that I needed to do before hand. It's kind of like how you never notice that mistake on your drawing until you pick it up from the plotter...  well, imagine your plotting 300 copies and you can't stop the plotter.

VBA has this function already. In fact, if my iLogic routine was just an API call that ran everything in VBA then I could hit the ctrl+brk keystroke to kill it...

by *Expert Elite* on ‎03-31-2013 10:51 PM

i also use ctrl+pause-break from time to time.

i would probably consider whether we could have this dedicated key rather than escape, or at least consider the options we have.

maybe escape is fine to use, but without testing it i think perhaps we should start out by allowing it to work to a greater extent via a tick box in the application options rather than globally rolling it out?

by *Expert Elite* on ‎04-01-2013 06:44 AM

That's all fine with me Mark; make it whatever keystroke everyone thinks best, add a tick box, it doesn't make a difference to me. Just put it in there somewhere.

This is where I accidentally wrote an infinite loop just now:

Capture.JPG

Having to forcefully kill a process via Windows is something that we should strive to avoid.

by Contributor crmayo on ‎04-02-2013 07:52 AM

I would vote for a stop sign icon in the lower right hand corner.  it would be green unless calculating or opening a file.  Then you could click on the icon and kill the process.

stop sign.jpg

by Contributor MDS-MQ on ‎04-03-2013 09:42 AM

It is simple. Stop processing means stop processing.

If I told my boss I could not make a design change because it would be a lot of work I would probably be looking for a job in the near future.

Or the company would produce an infearior product that they would have to market the crap out of.

Submit Your Ideas

Share and shape product ideas.

New Idea
You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
IdeaStation Guidelines
Review guidelines and best practices
before posting a new idea.

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube