Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enable Browser Window Selection

Enable Browser Window Selection

Enable browser for window selection. I'd like to be able to drag a window around multiple browser objects (views, features, components, etc...) to select them.

7 Comments
dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Comments Requested

Hello,

Thanks for providing your input on this functional improvement. As you are most likely aware, only certain commands are available when a "mixed bag" or heterogeneous selection is made from within the browser. What commands do you typically use on such selection sets if a "window select" option were available? Also, you currently have the ability to mult-select browser instances by selecting the first object, holding down the shift key then select the last instance.

Thanks,

Dan Szymanski

Inventor Customer Experience

bverboort
Advocate

Allow window selection method in browser (drag a window around a series of files and then allow CTL-Click to remove) so visibility, enabled, etc... are easier to assign.

kevinb
Advocate

I think the shift-select is what you're looking for.  Click the first object and then shift click the last object and it will select all objects in between them as well as the two end points.

Currently, this feature is broken for part patterns in assemblies for the drawing environment.  IE: I want to go and turn off a pattern that's in the way, but I don't want to go back and create a new representation for it, I have to go in and manually select each part file to turn them off, rather than just being able to select the pattern.

Davarn-Tool&Die
Advocate

When I am organizing an assembly I have one hand on the my 3d mouse and the other on the normal mouse. After using windows for decades it is almost instinctual to move the cursor arrow to the browser and attempt to window several parts and/or assemblies to "add to new folder" or change visibility state, etc. I realize that there would be times when this would not work, but any change toward window standardization would be appreciated.

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Gathering Support

inv.ideareview
Autodesk
Status changed to: Archived

We’re archiving this Idea because it's been on the board for well over a year and hasn't received many votes from the community. If you want to raise it again and try to gain more support, you're welcome to do so. We’ve found
that pictures and mock-ups can help get concepts across and win more votes from other users. If you have questions or see a connection between this Idea and others, let us know.

- Inventor product team (Inv.idea review)

noorman2008
Participant

Would like to revive this issue.

In assemblies you can draw a selection window to select a bunch of components. A similar function in a part would be handy for features.

Example:

I get sometimes very large models from a client I have to work in, cluttered with all kinds of garbage I don't need and interfere with my work (Getting over 90% of memory just by opening). It takes me 3 hrs+ to clean up every time.

I tried to explain it to them, but they can't change their workflow

Regrettably, referencing the imported models doesn't always work in my case.

I now have to select with shift+LMB in the modeltree a bunch of features and delete to clean up. Hoping that I didn't accidentally selected something useful, not easy to see. A window selection would really simplify this  proces.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report