Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Driven "constraints" similar to driven dimensions in sketch

Driven "constraints" similar to driven dimensions in sketch

I think it would be extremely useful to have driven "constraints" between components of an assembly, allowing us to have reference parameters in the assembly environment similar to within the sketch environment.

Currently, within an assembly, we can make a parameter dependant upon an existing constraint; however, suppose I don't want to constrain two features, becasue their location/orientation is determined by other constraints, but I want the location/orientation of a third part to be determined by the distance/orientation between those two features? These driven constraints or reference parameters would essentially be a measuring tool, which would allow a reference parameter to be created for the angle or distance between two features, which could then be used to drive other parameters.

9 Comments
DRoam
Mentor

This would essentially solve this issue by smithar suggesting Symmetrical constraints. With reference parameters, something like "MeasuredDistance/2" parameter values would easily allow symmetric constraining of components.

Curtis_Waguespack
Consultant

Symmetry Constraints have been added to Inventor 2014:

http://inventortopix.blogspot.com/2013/03/inventor-2014-whats-new.html

So would that resolve this for you, or are you still seeing a need for your idea even with symmetry constraints?

DRoam
Mentor

That's great, glad to see symmetric constraints have been implemented! Thanks for the link.

I do think reference parameters would still be useful. It would allow for much more complex dependant placement of components. In this thread which I posted some time ago I explain just one situation where reference parameters would be useful. Symmetric constraints might actually work in this case, but I might want the inner plates still dependant on the outside plates, but not symmetric.

Is this something you think could be useful as well, or might I be overcomplicating things?

Curtis_Waguespack
Consultant

In the example at the link you posted, creating a User Parameter is basically the same as the reference parameter you're asking for. Have you tried this?:

Go to the Manage tab and click the Parameters button, and then click the Add button to create a User Parameter.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

DRoam
Mentor

All, there is an identical request which has gained a little more traction than my post, probably because what's desired is presented more clearly than I did. As such, if all who support this functionality could follow the link below and give the other post a vote, that would be great. The more kudos are focused to a single post the better. Many thanks!

Link: Add Measurement as Paramenter

Curtis_Waguespack
Consultant

I just voted for this and the Add Measurement as Parameter idea, not sure why I had trouble getting my head around this at the time, but it makes a lot of sense to me now.

Having said that, I don't know that I've had the need for doing this.

inv.ideareview
Autodesk
Thanks for sharing your Idea. We use this forum to guide product development and help users in the best way we can based on voting. We occasionally merge Ideas or archive old ones to keep the forum working properly - it ensures there is room for people to review new Ideas and that the most relevant and meaningful ones can gain votes. We’re archiving this Idea because it's been on the board for well over a year and hasn't received many votes from the community. If you want to raise it again and try to gain more support, you're welcome to do so. We’ve found that pictures and mock-ups can help get concepts across and win more votes from other users. If you have questions or see a connection between this Idea and others, let us know. - Inventor product team (Inv.idea review)
inv.ideareview
Autodesk
Status changed to: Archived

goran.wennberg
Enthusiast

Hi

Do anyone know if there are a solution of this issue 5 years later? Have the same problem.

//Goran

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report